Are Google breaking the law?

Doug Tait

I've been receiving notifications from Google for a while now, pretty much every day, sometimes multiple times a day.

Apparently, I must tell Google my date of birth. They claim it's required to stop them breaking the law. Does anyone else get this request, or do you know what law they think they are in breach of by not knowing the date I was born?

I just dismiss the messages on this subject as I simply don't believe them, but it's really starting to annoy me now.

They usually ask for DOB when signing up for an account under the pretence that they can use it to verify its you if you get locked out. I've never given them my correct date of birth. Just give them a random date, and make a note of it in case they ask for it in the future. 

Only an idiot gives Google, Facebook, or just about any other such organisation their DOB unless absolutely necessary. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

I've been receiving notifications from Google for a while now, pretty much every day, sometimes multiple times a day.

Apparently, I must tell Google my date of birth. They claim it's required to stop them breaking the law. Does anyone else get this request, or do you know what law they think they are in breach of by not knowing the date I was born?

I just dismiss the messages on this subject as I simply don't believe them, but it's really starting to annoy me now.

Are you sure its actually google? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

They usually ask for DOB when signing up for an account under the pretence that they can use it to verify its you if you get locked out. I've never given them my correct date of birth. Just give them a random date, and make a note of it in case they ask for it in the future. 

Only an idiot gives Google, Facebook, or just about any other such organisation their DOB unless absolutely necessary. 

I have tried entering all 0's but they wouldn't accept that, suppose only God has that DOB but how do they know I'm not God!

Thanks for the suggestion

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Are you sure its actually google? 

I've no idea Andy, I'm quite ignorant about these things and just assume they're all trying to hoodwink me. Strange though, haven't heard anything about it by email from them, only these notifications that appear on my mobile phone. Don't believe for a minute that it's against the law though.

I had a similar thing with a bank ages ago saying I must tell them my town of birth and mothers maiden name, despite my actual bank having known these for years. In the end I filled in Timbuktu and mum became Elizabeth Windsor 

Just now, Doug Tait said:

I've no idea Andy, I'm quite ignorant about these things and just assume they're all trying to hoodwink me. Strange though, haven't heard anything about it by email from them, only these notifications that appear on my mobile phone. Don't believe for a minute that it's against the law though.

I had a similar thing with a bank ages ago saying I must tell them my town of birth and mothers maiden name, despite my actual bank having known these for years. In the end I filled in Timbuktu and mum became Elizabeth Windsor 

Does no sound like google at all. Id ignore it as its almost definitely a scam

• Like 2

I get this on my Android phone, it's a google play notification. A quick, erm, google, suggests this isn't a scam. I can't find out if this is a specific law or if it's just google trying to be seen to stop underage people accessing certain services.

As has been said, just put in something sensible but not your real birthday. (I'm like the queen, I have my real birthday and my official one!).

• Like 3