Sea fishing!

AngrySquirrel

I see it all the time, some people just never get the hang of the cast. From where the weight is ( on the ground or not, or swinging in the air) and the size of the weight and the length of the rod and the flex it can give with the different weight.

that said, what reel is being used, and the most important thing of it all is when to let go of the line.

ive seen wieght go straight up in the air and how it’s missed everyone  was just luck,  and of coarse straight down 5ft in front  or the crack of a whip snapping of the line.

I went fishing for mackerel at 4am thins morning 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Patrick goulding said:

Did you catch?

yes 8 mackerel and 3 horse mackerel , some are shown in my green bucket, I put back probably 10 small horse macks

These 3 guys  were there along time before me. They had a light in the water to Attract the horse mackerel they were sharing out they catch when I took this picture.

these London area guys (Indian/Pakistan) didn’t put the small ones back. But that’s like most of the immigrants around here “for want of a better  expression “  . and neither did they gut them. I was taught from a very early age to gut them where I caught

edit, east arm newhaven harbour 

6C2CE419-23A7-4A68-8B4F-E0AFAEA5DF90.jpeg

Edited by Wonky
Edit
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Some thing awful fishy about this spud 🤣

unnamed.jpg.47ea9430cf1fe1384f1bc36997d289d0.jpg

I am nothing compared to some ......the record is over 900ft or over 300 yards so 150 is nothing in comparison. Tuned Abu 6300C3CT Multiplier and a 13' Daiwa rod....Started at 50 yards and suddenly hit 100 when I got a pendulum swing going, walked miles casting over grass so you can stick your Pinocchio up your posterior!! 

Q Is there a record for the world’s longest cast? What equipment was used, and when was it done? My … Continued

• Like 4

Used to go out of Langstone on a charter boat a fair bit back in the late 90s. The shepherd from next door bought a couple of boats and kept them at our farm so we used to go out fishing together a lot, either fr slips at Langstone, Lymington or Christchurch. Haven't been since then apart from on a mates stag do a few years back. Used to love it. Just great being out at sea.

34 minutes ago, Wonky said:

yes 8 mackerel and 3 horse mackerel , some are shown in my green bucket, I put back probably 10 small horse macks

These 3 guys  were there along time before me. They had a light in the water to Attract the horse mackerel they were sharing out they catch when I took this picture.

these London area guys (Indian/Pakistan) didn’t put the small ones back. But that’s like most of the immigrants around here “for want of a better  expression “  . and neither did they gut them. I was taught from a very early age to gut them where I caught

edit, east arm newhaven harbour 

6C2CE419-23A7-4A68-8B4F-E0AFAEA5DF90.jpeg

Why keep them in water in the bucket?

Used to do it all the time growing up as a kid. Started of with a starter kit, bought for me one xmas from my grandparents, they used to take me to bridlington on the harbour wall, then my dad used to take me mackerel fishing on holidays to Devon and Cornwall, used to spend all my holidays on the harbour walls fishing, was never interested in amusement arcades or owt. Joined a sea fishing club, doing wreck fishing out of whitby. Then grew out of it due to work etc. Did a bit of crabbing from harbour wall when my daughters were growing up, bought a cheap rod and reel but never did much. Have never tried beachcasting, but would give it a go if I had time, would also buy some gear for harbwalls again if I had the time.

Also did the same as spud. Behind our house growing up was a cricket field, spent many an hour practising casting on there.

I tend to prefer catching mackerel with a light spinning rod, line and reel. Much prefer that than pulling out several in one go on a beach rod.

Probably my favourite fish to eat, and yes gutted at the beach and also neck snapped when landed to kill and bleed them out.

Not been for a year or two and should really get out again early one morning.

Also caught a few decent bass around here but lost track of the landing rules these days. Something like you can't take one on a rod but you can hoover tons of them up if you're a trawler.