Electric Kettles not made in china?

Stere

10 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I did repair the timer on our Dualit toaster with a cheap part off the internet and some help from Youtube!

I don’t get this outsourcing to China bollocks.

Most of us would be happy to pay a bit more for genuine British stuff if the quality was there.

They come up with some load of ole bollox just like Griggs did (Doc Martens)then ship all of to China when in fact it's just to make max £££ for as little outlay mind that's biting griggs in arse as many now not buying DM's as over priced shite and like many of the China Footwear disintegrates. Had a pair of DeWalt rigger boots one sole came adrift while other was fine had/seen it many times one is fine other not!.

Another one is Dyson but hes gear is Shite anyway "No bags to empty" but no Hoover to empty either as dam things broke again................................................Again ......................................Again. Henry Sucks them up and spits them out. Miele hoovers turn dysons inside out yet Dysons cost more! go figure

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Have you considered outsourcing production to China Beau?

Get it shipped back, Union Jack stamped on the bags, jobs a good ‘un!

Yes, I should do it like the pro's.

Cut down some virgin rainforest

Under cook my charcoal to make it heavy

Cover it in fire retardant to make it safe for shipping across the globe

On arrival in UK treat it with propellants and bag into "self lighting" bags

Oh and use a nice plastic covered bag that won't compost

Hay the customer must love saving 50p and the acrid smoke and flames they get from that lovely imported charcoal! My point being it's all about price for most customers.

As for kettles we have found a good quality one thats lasted years but cant find where its from so probably PRC

Aspect White Kettle, 100003, Morphy Richards, The Aspects kettle makes up to 6 drinks at a time

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 2

I feel your frustration in this. I think those of us who are prepared to pay a little more for made in the UK / quality / environmentally sustainable products are in the minority. For most people's cost is king and trumps all other considerations. Not even because they're that hard up either, more just so they've got more money to spend on more crap from China that they don't need! A sad reflection of the world in which we live.

Out of interest: how much do you need to charge for your charcoal to make it worth while? I'm sure you don't make a massive profit in any case.

• Like 1

Seems options are limited?

Only found one so far

alice-nero.jpg OTTONIFABBRICA.COM
Electric black kettle in 18 10 stainless steel without plastic in contact with water. Equipped with removable stainless steel...  
Probablt over £100 with import costs from EU?

Any kettle that lasts more than about 6 months would be a bonus and without crappy plastic.

Getting fed up with the cheapo ones not lasting....

Our kettle is glass as we didn't want crappy plastic either. It's an Alcok, I think she got it from Amazon, (contrary to my beliefs!). It seems pretty good anyway, been going strong for 3 or 4 years now. Made in China though I'm afraid.

On 02/07/2021 at 11:00, Woodworks said:

Yes, I should do it like the pro's.

Cut down some virgin rainforest

Under cook my charcoal to make it heavy

Cover it in fire retardant to make it safe for shipping across the globe

On arrival in UK treat it with propellants and bag into "self lighting" bags

Oh and use a nice plastic covered bag that won't compost

Hay the customer must love saving 50p and the acrid smoke and flames they get from that lovely imported charcoal! My point being it's all about price for most customers.

As for kettles we have found a good quality one thats lasted years but cant find where its from so probably PRC

Aspect White Kettle, 100003, Morphy Richards, The Aspects kettle makes up to 6 drinks at a time

Well I like you charcoal Beau. Was very pleased with the stuff I got from the yelv garage t’other day. It’s like meat- a lot of people just don’t want to think about where things come from. As long as they can get 3 chickens for a tenner they’re happy. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Well I like you charcoal Beau. Was very pleased with the stuff I got from the yelv garage t’other day. It’s like meat- a lot of people just don’t want to think about where things come from. As long as they can get 3 chickens for a tenner they’re happy. 

I'm really lucky- got a farmer locally who sells meat under the counter. Some cracking sausages too, makes them himself. The pig is slaughtered happy in the barn it lived in. Piglets run around free range. Food miles are very low- from the farm to my house!

51 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Appreciated 👍

5 hours ago, sime42 said:

Out of interest: how much do you need to charge for your charcoal to make it worth while? I'm sure you don't make a massive profit in any case.

£3 a kilo would make it worthwhile. Charging £2 a kilo trade at present. Had lots of other makers saying this was too cheap so tried upping the 2kg bags to £4.50 for new customers but had zero repeat orders at that price. 

Back on kettles is this made in the UK ?

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

Reading about the Maunfield brand it seems to be assembled in various European countries, plus turkey and China.

in the about us blurb it reads like a google translate of something foreign into English- or done by someone for whom English isn’t their first language