Dare I ask? but I need to replace me wee 1997 026

difflock

Only right run in too!

So sommat light and powerful for firewood duties.

And my nearest bloke is a Stihl dealer.

Marcus

P.S.

This on top of 3 gearbox failures in 3 different vehicles over this past couple of weeks.

(i) Totally Knackered DSG in the Skoda(for the 3rd and final time) 10+ and 140k on.

(ii) The "bulletproof" Yaris has a duff clutch or clutch slave cylinder, and her only be 10+  with 150,000 on

(iii) The linkage in the low miles Renault van is also out of kilter, but will the daughter get it looked at  .  .  .

In the circumstances I hardly dare go near any of the other vehicles  .  .  .

Signed,

Disgusted of Dervock.

Might? look at battery stuff?

Edited by difflock
indecision
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Volkswagen suggest their DSG has an almost unlimited life if the fluids are regularly changed. I wonder what the difference is with the Skoda badged one that makes this a common issue with the Czech one against the more reliable German one?
A mate has just changed his wife’s Yaris clutch along with a gearbox/driveshaft seal. He mentioned a complication with the replacement clutch plate which was supposedly differently sized to the original but offered as an upgrade.
Do Renault still use metalastic bushes on the remotes where a partial age related split of the rubbers mean selection becomes less positive?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, difflock said:

Only right run in too!

So sommat light and powerful for firewood duties.

And my nearest bloke is a Stihl dealer.

Marcus

P.S.

This on top of 3 gearbox failures in 3 different vehicles over this past couple of weeks.

(i) Totally Knackered DSG in the Skoda(for the 3rd and final time) 10+ and 140k on.

(ii) The "bulletproof" Yaris has a duff clutch or clutch slave cylinder, and her only be 10+  with 150,000 on

(iii) The linkage in the low miles Renault van is also out of kilter, but will the daughter get it looked at  .  .  .

In the circumstances I hardly dare go near any of the other vehicles  .  .  .

Signed,

Disgusted of Dervock.

Might? look at battery stuff?

Sounds like your having a bad run,if your looking at Stihl then i think the ms241 would be most suited for ya,i,ve gone to Makita/Dolmar lately and they are brilliant saws,worth a look.Whats up with your 026?

On 01/07/2021 at 12:08, difflock said:

(iii) The linkage in the low miles Renault van is also out of kilter, but will the daughter get it looked at.

Trafic? They wear one ball joint linkage and it pops off. There's a repair kit that holds the socket onto the ball rather than replacing the entire cables.

5 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

Volkswagen suggest their DSG has an almost unlimited life if the fluids are regularly changed.

Usually the mechatronic fails, the electro-hydraulic "control" portion and not the mechanical side. Still a 4-figure repair. Never been a fan of how DSGs drive.

5 hours ago, gary112 said:

Sounds like your having a bad run,if your looking at Stihl then i think the ms241.

Second the 241. I really like them.

If you want something more orange, i'd say a 550XP. Really rate mine, very light and compact but she rips. A little heavier than a 241 but probably not noticeable in the real world. 550 is more powerful and a bit cheaper too.

• Like 3

Just rebuild the 026 unless it is a right old state. They are usually pretty robust, piston skirts wear in extreme cases, the older carbs can go a bit off piste but apart from that, pretty solid.

Other than that, you are talking MS241, MS261.....Stihl has a really silly pricing structure on these two saws...the 241 has a plastic cradle and clam engine, the 261 is more like your 026. 

I still see 261s with clutch drum issues where I have almost never seen wear on the 026 ones.

£120 for an OEM 44.7mm cylinder and you could probably pick up a secondhand carb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all.

(I)Yaris being collected Tue or Wed, the clutch will not properly disengage, despite the slave cylinder being thoroughly bled, twice. Either a warped/knackered/collapsed clutch plate, or failed slave cylinder, but no fluid loss, anyway I understand a gearbox out job since the slave cylinder lives inside the bell housing.

Bought a 362C today, an animal compared to the wee 026. The saw I lusted after and should probably have bought in 1997!

The bottom end needle bearing had collapsed in the 026, knackering the crankshaft and fragments had also got trapped between the piston and the pot. I did think I had briefly heard an odd noise! Oops! My bad.

Thanks for the suggestions re the Renault Tragic btw, it will be going back to the bloke she bought it off, who is also the bloke sorting the Yaris. He is hard to pay, in that he was reluctant to be paid for his labour servicing the Yaris this past few years. More a hobby for him apparently, and he picks his customers. 

Thanks all.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

P.S. 

Re the DSG.

Ours is the infamous dry 7 speed DQ200, fitted to the smaller petrols and the wee 1.6 diesel i.e. NOT built by the OEM (Sachs perhaps?)who built the reliable wet DSG's and apparently when VAG asked them to design and build the dry DSG within their specified packaging/weight and cost constraints, they looked into it, and concluded that it could NOT be done.

They were correct.

But VAG found another company (and it might have been *Getrag?) who said they could build it to within the packaging/weight constraints and to price

They were WRONG!

Mechatronic already replaced 3 year ago.

Probably the selectors?

But could likely also need the clutch packs replaced with 140,000 on

Plus the Dual Mass Flywheel, ditto.

Then likely Siemens injector issues

plus need a timing belt sometime soon.

Too many birthdays all in all.

And the DSG is HATEFUL when slow speed manouvering especially on any incline, DOUBLY so in reverse.

Cheers,

Mth

*I was posting a comment about the Toyota and found it was probably Getrag, not Luk.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, difflock said:

Thanks all.

(I)Yaris being collected Tue or Wed, the clutch will not properly disengage, despite the slave cylinder being thoroughly bled, twice. Either a warped/knackered/collapsed clutch plate, or failed slave cylinder, but no fluid loss, anyway I understand a gearbox out job since the slave cylinder lives inside the bell housing.

Bought a 362C today, an animal compared to the wee 026.

Could be a number of things; failed clutch spring fingers, or failed seals in the master or slave allowing fluid to pass by.

My quick and dirty test is to clamp the flexible fluid line between master and slave, if the pedal's solid then it's likely a failed slave. If the pedal goes down the master's failed.

Slaves fail more often but masters fail often enough too.

The 362 is a very nice saw. Guy i worked with had one and it was a little powerhouse of a saw.

(And you can get a full wrap for it, which i love.)

8 minutes ago, difflock said:

P.S. 

Re the DSG.

Ours is the infamous dry 7 speed DQ200, fitted to the smaller petrols and the wee 1.6 diesel i.e. NOT built by the OEM (Sachs perhaps?)who built the reliable wet DSG's and apparently when VAG asked them to design and build the dry DSG within their specified packaging/weight and cost constraints, they looked into it, and concluded that it could NOT be done.

They were correct.

But VAG found another company (and it might have been Luk?) who said they could build it to within the packaging/weight constraints and to price

They were WRONG!

Cheers,

Mth

I think the dry clutch ones are just a later evolution? Maybe not, DSGs aren't my area really. Luckily in 15 years as a mechanic i dodged in-depth DSG repair.

LUK and Sachs are both owned by Schaeffler group so doubt it'd be one but not the other. I thought DSGs were built largely by VW but were conceived by Borg-Warner.

I have a ZF slushbox in mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all.

Bought a 362C today, an animal compared to the wee 026. The saw I lusted after and should probably have bought in 1997!

The bottom end needle bearing had collapsed in the 026, knackering the crankshaft and fragments had also got trapped between the piston and the pot. I did think I had briefly heard an odd noise! Oops! My bad.

Thanks for the suggestions re the Renault Tragic btw, it will be going back to the bloke she bought it off, who is also the bloke sorting the Yaris. He is hard to pay, in that he was reluctant to be paid for his labour servicing the Yaris this past few years. More a hobby for him apparently, and he picks his customers. 

Thanks all.

Whoa steady on there mate! You can't just go out and buy the first saw you see, we've got several options to weigh yet, cud to chew, Husky/Stihl/Dolmar, MS400 , waiting for new 592XP, .....
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1