Another dodgy machine

Jack.P

15 hours ago, spudulike said:

I am taking that this machine is perhaps 1-2 years old, on a machine this age, an air leak is very unusual.

The unstable idle, first thing I would check when the revs increase and won't go back to the idle first set is that the carb is shutting off as it should. Yo may be releasing the throttle lever but the cable may be routed incorrectly and holding the carb open. I do this by pushing on the arm the cable is connected to so the carb throttle valve is pushed completely shut as you may have some issue with the cable that holds it open. If the revs drop back to normal, you have found your issue.

If the revs still race, it may be a lean L screw, sometimes when they are set a bit lean, the idle becomes a bit unstable - manufacturers like them lean as they can certify their equipment as EPA compliant! 

Much comes back to getting the carb set by someone who knows what they are doing, 1/4 turn out on the L and H screw may sort your issues. A lean L screw will make it more difficult to start, be more unstable on idle and may bog if you give it a fistful of revs from idle. A lean H screw may make the engine falter and bog instead of revving out cleanly.

How is your air filter? If it is a bit blocked, this can give some issues. The carb colour can give you some interesting info. If the machine is low hours, it is unlikely to have any serious issues. One KM94 I did had your symptoms and a new fuel filter fixed it after a carb tune did very little!

The air filter thing is something I’ve found on newer stihl stuff. I seem to be changing them really often as it seems the engines don’t like it when they are even mildly dirty. Especially on the auto tune ones which is odd as it says in the book they should last longer due to auto tune. But if they ever run a bit rough I swop and it all goes back to normal.

Strimming non stop all week is hard work and probably a bit pointless .I will be glad when it’s done .it is really a flail cutter job but the client claimed they couldn’t find anyone  .I’m not sure how well they would work in very matted grass 

4 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Strimming non stop all week is hard work and probably a bit pointless .I will be glad when it’s done .it is really a flail cutter job but the client claimed they couldn’t find anyone  .I’m not sure how well they would work in very matted grass 

We had a Bomford Bandit anything was game with that wasn't fussy! Anything came out the back in shreds!

• Like 1

This is the job that keeps giving! I bought the hex key now  and done all the obvious stuff ,if I keep spraying the air intake it seems to run better so could try Changing the filter .its amazing aswell how all the brush just disappeared into nothing.

21 hours ago, AngrySquirrel said:

We had a Bomford Bandit anything was game with that wasn't fussy! Anything came out the back in shreds!

Found a roll of sheep wire with my bandit last week. First pass of the field, early morning before the rain came. Was pissing down before I'd burnt off the last of the wire. 

Wouldnt mind but it was on my own land. 😡

• Sad 2

Found a roll of sheep wire with my bandit last week. First pass of the field, early morning before the rain came. Was pissing down before I'd burnt off the last of the wire. 
Wouldnt mind but it was on my own land. [emoji35]

🤣[emoji15] whoops! [emoji16]

1 hour ago, Conor Wright said:

Wouldnt mind but it was on my own land. 😡

That is the thing with working on others peoples land .where I’m clearing there are some large flints just randomly lying about .im  sure a flail wouldn’t like that and maybe could  hit cars and windows .i guess though if it’s unknown what your dealing with then you could cut down say  about 30 cm above ground then look over the area first for metal etc 

1 hour ago, Jack.P said:

That is the thing with working on others peoples land .where I’m clearing there are some large flints just randomly lying about .im  sure a flail wouldn’t like that and maybe could  hit cars and windows .i guess though if it’s unknown what your dealing with then you could cut down say  about 30 cm above ground then look over the area first for metal etc 

Bandits not Fussy with what metal it is it's shredded Bike frames and all! it don't fire it anywhere but out back on floor as rotates against travel as it's a transverse rotating bar with chains and boots hanging off it not spinning round like those newer shitey cheap things!

Smart piece of kit that's robust and heavier ground drop down gears so you control it with revs and gears

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AngrySquirrel said:

Bandits not Fussy with what metal it is it's shredded Bike frames and all! it don't fire it anywhere but out back on floor as rotates against travel as it's a transverse rotating bar with chains and boots hanging off it not spinning round like those newer shitey cheap things!

Smart piece of kit that's robust and heavier ground drop down gears so you control it with revs and gears

Hmm, you must have more horses driving yours. If I hit a bike frame I think my poor tractor would die from shock!

• Haha 1