Do trees fall over??

john87

3 hours ago, daltontrees said:

It was what is known as a rhetorical question. Because the answer is 'obviously', it suggests it would withstand a climb.

I know. I'm never confident enough to give advice from pics, so I just think of something silly to say. Sorry!

On 30/06/2021 at 11:13, daltontrees said:

There's just one question, and that is what/who will be hit in the weather conditins that would cause it to fall in the direction of lean.

Any instinct to fell it without this being considered is probably motivated by wanting firewood or paid work.

It looks to be going slowly. Has it stood up to several recent blasts? A height reduction might allow it to carry on for a few decades.

Bulge at the back should have a matching dip at the front, otherwise it might just be adaptive growth. Or both. No-one can say based in these photos.

I got a photo of the top of it. I would be all for reducing the height as you say, but since all the foliage is at the top, would it not just be a very tall tree stump for ever more?? I was thinking of removing some of the heavier branches that stick out to the right to try to reduce the overturning forces on the tree..

john..

If you want to take the pointlessly measured approach of retaining it if possible etc, then hang a plumb bob from the trunk, hammer a stake into the ground where the bob hangs and observe. If you want to be sensible, get it down.

10 hours ago, AHPP said:

If you want to take the pointlessly measured approach of retaining it if possible etc, then hang a plumb bob from the trunk, hammer a stake into the ground where the bob hangs and observe. If you want to be sensible, get it down.

"Pointlessly measured"? How utterly tragic to read all that we know about the benefits of trees, about the proportionality of risk reduction measures, the importance of habitats and the avoidance of needless tree damage and customer expense swept aside by his phrase. The point is that it is measured.

From a few photos you, I an everybody else don't know enough to say whether the tree will last another 1 year, 10 years, 100 years. So what's 'sensible' about taking it down, based on very little information? Does the slight imbalance offend the eye? I'll be even more to the point. Why take it down?

And those are not rhetorical questions. Please explain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing that does worry me, is that there is a big bulge behind it when the rest of the ground is perfectly flat...

I have got a photo of it from last september and i do not think it has moved since then.. I also have a photo from 1980, but it is a poor photo and you cannot see much.. If you look at the rearmost trunk, it was MUCH more upright then..

john..

1.jpg

Edited by john87
Forgot photo!

Thats a cracking Ford , John !  I will also point out the surrounding trees appear to be keeping pace with height , so wind leverage on the subject is less to worry about than if it were the dominant or solo tree . Obvs the correct recommendation is get it assessed professionally on site , but thats ' money'  . K