Do trees fall over??

john87

If it had a lean like that, there wasn't a huge bulge and the tree was correcting itself by starting to correct it's lean or it had a good amount of canopy on the side against the lean I would just monitor it. 

The fact that the tree is leaning, there's a large bulge (which sounds relatively new?) and it appears to be massively imbalanced towards the lean I would get it removed assuming there's a target underneath. If it's just a clear area owned by you I wouldn't be too concerned! 

There's just one question, and that is what/who will be hit in the weather conditins that would cause it to fall in the direction of lean.

Any instinct to fell it without this being considered is probably motivated by wanting firewood or paid work.

It looks to be going slowly. Has it stood up to several recent blasts? A height reduction might allow it to carry on for a few decades.

Bulge at the back should have a matching dip at the front, otherwise it might just be adaptive growth. Or both. No-one can say based in these photos.

Edited by daltontrees

6 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

There's just one question, and that is what/who will be hit in the weather conditins that would cause it to fall in the direction of lean.

Any instinct to fell it without this being considered is probably motivated by wanting firewood or paid work.

It looks to be going slowly. HAs ot stood up to several recent blasts? A height reduction might allow it to carry on for a few decades.

Bulge at the back should have a matching dip at the front, otherwise it might just be adaptive growth. Or both. No-one can say based in these photos.

No matching dip.. I will go and take some proper photos with my camera [and not friends phone] in a bit. If it fell, it would not hit anything [unless someone was to be standing there]

I will get better photos.. Did not think height reduction, that is a good idea!! Would it be safe to climb though?? I could test that mathematically i suppose..

john..

Hmmm, previous wind-rock that has (temporarily) stabilized but absolutely of concern if there are 'targets' within the likely failure zone (it looks very 'weighted' in the direction of fall').

As a matter of course, I'm very careful in my use of the term "leaning tree". Where the tree in question is, for instance a woodland edge tree that then grows vertical in the upper crown, I describe it as "growing on an angle" (a mouthful but hopefully removes any concern to the tree owner that may be associated with the word "leaning"...still, that said, the Tower of Pisa is still there...or 'was' last I heard [emoji32])   
I like that "growing at an angle", may borrow the phrase.

1 hour ago, john87 said:

No matching dip.. I will go and take some proper photos with my camera [and not friends phone] in a bit. If it fell, it would not hit anything [unless someone was to be standing there]

I will get better photos.. Did not think height reduction, that is a good idea!! Would it be safe to climb though?? I could test that mathematically i suppose..

john..

Has it stood up to the last storm? Do you think it could stand to have someone's body weight in it for a few hours in good weather long enough to reduce it by the first 100 kg? Different matter if you're going to shock-load it.