New privet hedge

David Lawrence 88

Guest Gimlet

Looks nice in prime condition but not reliably evergreen everywhere in the country so it can look very sorry. 

My objection is it's an extremely hungry plant that sucks up all the nutrients from the surrounding soil. It's hard work trying to grow a decent border in front of a privet hedge. 

Looks nice in prime condition but not reliably evergreen everywhere in the country so it can look very sorry.  My objection is it's an extremely hungry plant that sucks up all the nutrients from the surrounding soil. It's hard work trying to grow a decent border in front of a privet hedge. 

They're very thirsty as well as hungry. Though aren't all hedging like that? Anyway, from a trimmers perspective you don't really want a border in front of the hedge! A nice plain bit of lawn makes the job a whole lot easier, especially the clearing up.  

15 hours ago, David Lawrence 88 said:

Hi

i planted a privet hedge this spring

the plants are reported to be doing well 

but just growing up not out or bushy at all

should we wait til they get to final height and then trim the tops or cut the tops out now to encourage side shoots

thanks

I'd follow the advice of one of the hedging suppliers. Such as https://www.best4hedging.co.uk/privet-hedging-ligustrum-c67

I think you've left it too long, you normally cut them down when planting and then trim as they grow so they produce lots of low down branches. But cutting them lower than the final height would seem the way to go.

Edit to add, my main experience with private is coppicing them with a chainsaw as they've grown into small trees!

Edited by Paul in the woods