New privet hedge

David Lawrence 88

I beg to differ. I'd be inclined to trim them off a little before their final height, say 6 inches. That way I reckon you'll get a bit more time and space in which to achieve a nice, flat, dense top.
Though when all is said and done, because it's Privet, it doesn't really matter which way you do it. You can cut it as much as you want and it'll always spring back again. As long as you cut it at least a couple of times over the summer, you'll quickly get a nice finish. (Well, depending on your expertise with a hedge trimmer!).

• Like 1

Also, the more frequently you cut them, the smaller the leaves get so easier to get a smooth surface.
Definitely my choice of hedging plant. Much more forgiving and easier to control than Leylandii, and denser than Laurel.

For the last 12 years I have maintained 20 metres or so of well established privet hedge.  My recommendation would be to remove the privet bushes now whilst they are small, and erect an attractive fence.  

It does look lovely when freshly cut, but at this time of year it starts to look scruffy again in about ten days or so.  Great hobby I suppose.

Brought back many unhappy memories of growing up and being responsible for cutting the privet hedges at home. Must have been at least 150 yards of the stuff which I had to cut with a pair of hand shears, no hedge trimmers in those days. When I'd had enough of that I had to cut the back lawn fortunately only about 15 sq yards with self same shears. Parents were too poor (mean?) to buy even a hand push mower. Happily the better half enjoys cutting the grass with a petrol mower I hasten to add. Needless to say no privet in my hedges nowadays!