Woodlice

Mr. Bish

I have a big job to quote. Poplars, lots of them and some are upwind of residential area.

My problem is.... I don't know what negative effects woodlice can have on established poplars.

I don't want to cause the land owner undue concern, however if they are likely to make the base rotton I will need to address the problem.

approx 150 trees in all and my guess is that 100 are effected by woodlice at the base.

There are on average only 10 to 20 bore holes per effected tree. The only info I can get from the web seems to be that they only eat bark.

What do you guys know about them or what advise can you give me?

If the dacaying detritus is part of the tree it is not performing any useful function therefore the woodlice are not doing any harm, infact rotting wood holds moisture accelerating the decay process and allowing potentially pathogenic fungi to take hold so you could argue that the woodlice are beneficial.

If the dacaying detritus is part of the tree it is not performing any useful function therefore the woodlice are not doing any harm, infact rotting wood holds moisture accelerating the decay process and allowing potentially pathogenic fungi to take hold so you could argue that the woodlice are beneficial.

Also, that the structural integrity of the trees may be compromised.

goat moth is supposed to be rare but ive seen quite a few on pops around here they cause serious damage with bore holes...also stag horn beetles

Interesting. The bore holes are upto 10mm diamiter. That seems rather large for woodlice to be honest.

How would you suggest I investigate further? what am I looking for? and if it is beetle infestation, is there a cure?

The only investigating I have done so far is pulling some loose bark off and it was crawling with woodlice.

Wowwww. I just looke up the goat moth - I saw one last week I think, inside a rotting hazel. I don't think it's those as the trees are not rotting. Being Pops if they were rotting at the base I would definately suggest removal. Cant find anything really on the stag horn beetle.