Tree stump treatment

Stephen Jamieson

6 hours ago, doobin said:

Pro tip- weld the washer on to the drill bit yourself for a £15 saving!

CASB13Z - 13mm Shaft Collar (Single Split) (Single Split ) at BearingBoys - Â2.90 exc VAT. Inside Dia : 13mm, Material:...

Bosch 2-608-596-310 brad point wood bit (13mm x 96mm x 151mm). Shop our Bosch drill bit range today for great prices...

You can sharpen the bit and move the collar down.

Not that I approve of ecoplugs but you can do the same with a suitable herbice and a dowel to plug the hole.

4 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

CASB13Z - 13mm Shaft Collar (Single Split) (Single Split ) at BearingBoys - Â2.90 exc VAT. Inside Dia : 13mm, Material:...

Bosch 2-608-596-310 brad point wood bit (13mm x 96mm x 151mm). Shop our Bosch drill bit range today for great prices...

You can sharpen the bit and move the collar down.

Not that I approve of ecoplugs but you can do the same with a suitable herbice and a dowel to plug the hole.

You don’t want a brad point bit for green wood drilling into the grain. You want a normal bit sharpened ideally around 80 degrees. Speed is important when plugging. Brad points are for clean holes at a serious speed penalty. 

I always have extra heavy gauge washers around so just used an m12 of them, but a shaft collar would work well. 

33 minutes ago, doobin said:

You don’t want a brad point bit for green wood drilling into the grain. You want a normal bit sharpened ideally around 80 degrees. Speed is important when plugging. Brad points are for clean holes at a serious speed penalty. 

I always have extra heavy gauge washers around so just used an m12 of them, but a shaft collar would work well. 

How many ecoplugs have you inserted?

I didn't do a great deal, probably about a thousand,  but the brad point works well on the (now obsolete) BT45 drill and clears the frass better than a HSS drill. It is also the bit supplied for the purpose.I did service the 3 BT45s and re sharpened the few bits that the uarbs hadn't tossed into the cess when they got blunt.

The collar works better than a welded washer as it is easier to fix at the 30mm depth as you re sharpen the bit