Any experience with eucalyptus?

muttley9050

Went to see a eucalyptus dalrympleana today. Really nice old guy who planted the tree in the 70s from seed. He is concerned now about the size of it and the proximity to his house. He wants it removed but doesn't want it going to firewood.

I have no experience of it at all.

I understand its durable.

Few questions. Would it be a good timber for fencing or garden furniture? How thick is the bark likely to be.

Any opinions on previous experience Milling it.

The guys Garden is like an arboretum. He a nice chap and would like to help him out.

Pic of the 3 eucs to go. Big one is about 850mm dbh20210624_101437.thumb.jpeg.59137c817b90c38c050d95d8f033c2ec.jpeg

I’ve only ever used it for firewood and I have a love hate relationship with it.

It can be an absolute b’stard to split if the growth has twisted, but the smell from splitting it can be amazing. Very occasionally come across a resin well that clears the sinuses brilliantly.

Great wood for a fire pit with a lovely aroma.

Can’t help with any other uses though.

• Like 1

Not sure which variant it was but I had two in the garden when we moved into previous house, both about 40’ tall and 12” dbh at allegedly circa 20 years old, despite having been pollarded at least once. The house was showing signs of heave so I got rid pretty quickly (one tree in particular was about 15’ away from front corner of mine and next door house) - so I can see why your man would want those out.

I gave some bits away for turning and the recipient was very happy. For other uses apart from firewood (yes, it’s a pig to split) I’d be wary about the amount of radial cracking and general twisting, unfortunately, although apparently it’s reasonably long lasting outdoors so can be used for making garden furniture, pergolas etc.

Different species of Eucalyptus behave very differently. Some are excellent high density timber whereas others twist and split instantly. I had some gunnii from Nepia a few years back just to see what happened and it moved spectacularly but didn't really split, so I used it to build bits of chicken coop in the end, where it is still serving well. Dalrympleana is not one I have personally milled but there does seem to have been some commercial use of it for general construction in Australia, suggesting it is relatively stable. If so, it can make a good carcassing timber for furniture as eucalyptus acts like cedar in deterring clothes moths. The main thing I would check for is spiral growth - if present then it won't do anything more than rough fenceposts.

Alec

Edited by agg221