More ethanol in fuel

neiln

On 25/06/2021 at 18:30, maybelateron said:

I'm sure two star had lead in it, just a smaller amount. My understanding was that the lead acted as an anti knock agent, but also helped lubricate the valve stems/guides and the valve seats. On a different note we have just managed the last two days almost completely using battery saws. When we had to get out the MS261 and MS660 to do the lower trunk the fumes were horrid/eyes stinging. I only use Aspen2 in our recently rebuilt MS880. For new saws from now on I am going to be very tempted to fund the Aspen2, or any that have the fuel system components replaced.

Aspen is 100% worth it. I've got asthma and I find I get a tight chest if I use petrol milling instead of aspen. Also works well for storage. I dragged out a hedge cutter that I hadn't used in over a year and it was full of aspen, second pull and away it went. Pulled out a strimmer that I hadn't used in 6 months and the regular petrol was orange and rank.

• Like 3

Yep I can see myself going to aspen if I have trouble.  I never have yet, even though I sometimes have fuel or mix sat in a can for 6+ months.  I avoided E5 for as long as I could and I use a stabiliser (startron). I'll continue to avoid E10 by buying super, and see how we go. If saw or mower become trouble then I'll probably go to aspen.

3 hours ago, neiln said:

Yep I can see myself going to aspen if I have trouble.  I never have yet, even though I sometimes have fuel or mix sat in a can for 6+ months.  I avoided E5 for as long as I could and I use a stabiliser (startron). I'll continue to avoid E10 by buying super, and see how we go. If saw or mower become trouble then I'll probably go to aspen.

If you're thinking of switching then the sooner the better. Saves pulling all the pipes out and rebuilding the carb unless they are already well aged 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neiln said:

Seizing?  I've not heard ethenol causing that.  Eating fuel line, and carb diaphragm, or gumming it all up are the problems Ive heard of.

Absorbing water is another .

• Like 2