More ethanol in fuel

neiln

6 hours ago, difflock said:

I saw some such study referred to recently, but with respect to increased IQ, I however suspect it was US based, though it may have been Swedish in orign.

Must try and find it.

Reminds me of brave new world where foetus' brain development was curtailed to provide manual workers

• Like 1

10 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I think even 2 star had lead in it back before unleaded was available. I believe the lead also acted as a lubricant and two strokes benefited from that.

By now I would have expected to see a study showing how much better kids were growing up without as much lead in the environment twenty years after leaded petrol was removed from sale.

That. 

Up to 40% of lead in airborne particles comes from the legacy of leaded petrol, researchers say.

No suprise really. K

10 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I think even 2 star had lead in it back before unleaded was available. I believe the lead also acted as a lubricant and two strokes benefited from that.

I'm sure two star had lead in it, just a smaller amount. My understanding was that the lead acted as an anti knock agent, but also helped lubricate the valve stems/guides and the valve seats. On a different note we have just managed the last two days almost completely using battery saws. When we had to get out the MS261 and MS660 to do the lower trunk the fumes were horrid/eyes stinging. I only use Aspen2 in our recently rebuilt MS880. For new saws from now on I am going to be very tempted to fund the Aspen2, or any that have the fuel system components replaced.

• Like 2

2.3.4.5 star all had lead in them just octane levels went down as star level decreased as octane is the anti knock.

Many used to stick 2 star in there jalopy then take it for a "Full" beans trip down road and back to "clear/clean/Blow it up! for MOT etc

3 star then 2 star wasn't sold and few places did 5 star as that was for performance/race cars

On 25/06/2021 at 18:22, Khriss said:

That. 

Up to 40% of lead in airborne particles comes from the legacy of leaded petrol, researchers say.

No suprise really. K

I'm surprised! How is there still lead in the air after all this time?

I'm guessing it had settled on buildings and gets blown up into the air now and then but after twenty years!

6 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

I'm surprised! How is there still lead in the air after all this time?

I'm guessing it had settled on buildings and gets blown up into the air now and then but after twenty years!

Its Lead, wot is it going to degrade into? Depleted Uranium, nother good idea 🙄 K