Tree bark damaged and flies infested

Christopher23434

I need help! 

It recently came to my attention that I probably have been killing the 50 foot or so tall evergreen in our yard. :(

I have been throwing knives at it for a month or so, and the bark is damaged from about head to toe level in meter high places around the tree.

I dont know how to fix it and thousands of flies are infesting the bark, although those same flies are on many trees around the property :(

Please help, I am panicing! 

Photos would help. Its unlikely you'll kill it doing this (just look at the amount of old trees with numerous names carved in them etc), but any wounding to a tree does leave it open to pathogens. If you were going to kill it simply through the scarring you'd have to remove a whole section of the bark around the whole stem.

6 hours ago, Christopher23434 said:

I need help! 

It recently came to my attention that I probably have been killing the 50 foot or so tall evergreen in our yard. :(

I have been throwing knives at it for a month or so, and the bark is damaged from about head to toe level in meter high places around the tree.

I dont know how to fix it and thousands of flies are infesting the bark, although those same flies are on many trees around the property :(

Please help, I am panicing! 

Stop .

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

but any wounding to a tree does leave it open to pathogens.

There may be exception to the rule Mr B!

A certain “IanC” gets a mench in the comments and replies of the attached link:

MUDCAT.ORG

the more you beat them the better they be. as regards walnut trees i understand its the end of the branches that are...

• Like 1

No I have been using plywood for the past two weeks. I only got worried because of reading & hearing that it could damage or even kill the tree.

I love my hobby of knife throwing and have managed to get it a tree over 29 feet. 

It is true I cannot do things like that 29 feet away, but a plank is good enough.

I am just worried about the tree, which has been alive since I moved In 8 years ago.

Thank you for your time, I will keep checking if anyone has any information on the trees health and the flies.

Also, those flies have infested all other trees on the area, but seem to be heavily infesting the tree mentioned.

Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, Christopher23434 said:

No I have been using plywood for the past two weeks. I only got worried because of reading & hearing that it could damage or even kill the tree.

I love my hobby of knife throwing and have managed to get it a tree over 29 feet. 

It is true I cannot do things like that 29 feet away, but a plank is good enough.

I am just worried about the tree, which has been alive since I moved In 8 years ago.

Thank you for your time, I will keep checking if anyone has any information on the trees health and the flies.

Also, those flies have infested all other trees on the area, but seem to be heavily infesting the tree mentioned.

Thank you. 

Once again , stop throwing knives into your tree .

• Like 1