Tree bark damaged and flies infested

Christopher23434

2 hours ago, Christopher23434 said:

But back to the subject, does anyone have any thoughts about how to ensure the trees survival?

Just leave it alone .  ( this has to be a wind up surely ? )

Edited by Stubby

2 hours ago, Christopher23434 said:

Are we getting into a boasting mach? I can shoot much better than I throw knives ;)

But to be honest, I have to correct you. I cannot hit a strawberry from 30 feet (only 5-10 ft) but can hit a plank about 2 ft by 3 ft from that far. 

I am working on breaking my record and a few hours ago I might have just done it. I will have to measure it tomorrow.

But back to the subject, does anyone have any thoughts about how to ensure the trees survival?

Never let the truth get in the way of a good dit!

Exageration and deviation from the topic are the lifeblood of the forum 😂

I joined for a bit on a FB tree work group which is mainly USA, it is interesting that when there's a tree health problem someone always seem to have a recommendation of a chemical to spray or inject.

Seems at odds with the approach in the UK which is mainly mulch, water, leave it alone. I left the group.

Also now on a group for dog people and seem to be common to have dogs on Prozac or similar, is this common in the UK or is it like the trees where the desire is to 'do something'?

5 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I joined for a bit on a FB tree work group which is mainly USA, it is interesting that when there's a tree health problem someone always seem to have a recommendation of a chemical to spray or inject.

Seems at odds with the approach in the UK which is mainly mulch, water, leave it alone. I left the group.

Also now on a group for dog people and seem to be common to have dogs on Prozac or similar, is this common in the UK or is it like the trees where the desire is to 'do something'?

In my early days in this industry I started working for a well-off elderly couple who had (amongst many other trees in a large well-stocked mature garden) an absolutely knackered weeping willow leaning precariously over their pond. It was infested with numerous fungi and was ready to fail imminently.

When I pointed this out and suggested removal they told me that they had been paying a well known (inter)national Arb Association Approved Contractor to ‘treat’ the tree for several years! They wanted to leave the tree in place as were convinced it would get better...

As far as I’m concerned whoever sold them this course of treatment and subsequently kept billing them to administer the snake-oil was no better than the door-knocking tarmac layers we always hear about marching old ladies to the cash machine. 
(Within 12 months the willow failed spectacularly into the pond and was a right ball-ache to remove!). 

This is the arbtalk we all know and love. 

I had throwing knives when I was younger. Never got the hang of it. I could hit a target pretty reliably after a few tries, but only ever at that range and angle. 

In my defence, when I was young there was no internet, so I couldn't watch YouTube to see how it's done. Trial and error is a slow process when you had 3 knives, and your mate accidentally chucked one of them in the river. 

• Like 1