Accurate stump cuts.

Retired Climber

Any tips or tricks for cutting a stump off dead level? I want to make a small table top for the garden by taking a slice from the top of a stump. Whenever I do it I always seem to cut a bit wonky, or the cuts don't line up by the time I've been round the stump. 

Obviously a long bar to go straight through in one go would be ideal, but the stump is too big for that. It's very close to twice the size of my longest bar. 

For doing really level cuts I've gone around with chalk or even just scored with the bar just to mark out a cut line. As long as you follow the line on the first cut then keep the tip of the bar in an already cut part and follow the line around then you can get some level cuts.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I used to be pretty good at it but I seem to have lost the knack. 

I don't think I need to draw a chalk line or anything like that as I can go all the way round and the cuts meet on the outside. It's in the middle it goes a bit off. I must be tipping the nose up or down I suppose. 

I remember when I did one of my NPTC units there was a guy who couldn't make a horizontal back cut to save his life. He had this tiny little spirit level he used to put on the bar which seemed to help him start off straight. Seems like a good idea but I can't help thinking that if I need a level to cut level, it might be time to hang up the saws for good. 

4 minutes ago, Con said:

Like Steve said, new chain. It might not be you, if the chain isn't accurately sharpened and the bar is only slightly mishaped I would think it would make quite a difference on a big piece

Thanks, I do plan to use a new chain, even though sticking a new chain on to cut a stump close to the ground doesn't quite feel right. 

I'll pray for no stones or random bits of metal. 

• Like 1

Pick the saw up and practice finding the balance point in all planes and get the feel for how much pressure you need on the back handle to keep it level before you start cutting. As well as a good bar and chain.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

Any tips or tricks for cutting a stump off dead level? I want to make a small table top for the garden by taking a slice from the top of a stump. Whenever I do it I always seem to cut a bit wonky, or the cuts don't line up by the time I've been round the stump. 

Obviously a long bar to go straight through in one go would be ideal, but the stump is too big for that. It's very close to twice the size of my longest bar. 

Would not both doing it, all the effort in getting it level messing up a chain if you hit something and it will just split in all directions in the end when it dries out. 

• Like 1