Which beech?

IMG_6451.jpgIMG_6453.jpgIMG_6454.jpgIMG_6457.jpgIMG_6455.jpg

Can anyone help with this beech variety?

The whole tree has these toothed edged curled leaves but I can seem to find anything about it.

It’s a fully mature tree but I only had time to grab a twig as I drove passed, not take a picture of the whole tree...IMG_6457.jpg

I’d say 100% if it wasn’t for this lack of response!
Huge grey smooth bulbous trunk.
Quite possibly planted as a specimen many years back as it’s in the grounds of a large country house.
Any ideas even to the term given to this spiralled leaf type so I can explore that route?!
If not I guess I’ll be going back to explore some more, plus try and collect some nuts and take some cuttings!

40 minutes ago, Sycamorework said:

Cristata was the closet guess I had whilst looking through books. If you google it, however, it shows very little.

I don't pretend to know a lot about this subject but could it be a cultivar , like a fern leaved beech , is there a graft line ?

• Like 1

Those leaves are very unusual; I wonder if the tree is virused or if some other external agent is affecting the leaf shape.
Zelkova? Elm? (does any elm have a smooth grey bark?)

Virus was my initial thought, but it was the whole tree in its entirety, & showing no signs of illness which put me off that option.

This is a good match from Collins. 
image.thumb.jpg.068a21bfdb14068cea323504b26a6714.jpg
image.thumb.jpg.1a4a1b6255ae36481c21d9e477d89acb.jpg

I agree, it does sound promising [emoji1303]
I would have checked the books first but all mine are in storage at the moment, and there is very little comes up even if you google that specifically.

I will try and take another visit soon and take a better look at the tree!