Electricity Northwest want to cut my trees

DaveyH

Question

Evening All,

I had a visit today an Electricity Northwest Surveyor wanted to cut back 3 of my trees that are touching the LV cables suppling my neighbours. The cable runs over my land but according to their plans doesn't so there is no wayleave in place or I don't think there is.

The trees give good sound insulation from the M6 over the other side of the field and give a stunning back drop to the garden. He said he would only have them cut from  the back to maintain the appearance from the front but my worry is that this would unbalance the tree? especially as it is close to a ditch.

I guess I need to get this job done but some of the stories I have heard about Utility companies lopping trees worry me. 

Am I within my rights to get it done myself and then invoice them?

If they must do the work - what can and should I insist on? (from aesthetics to removal of branches?)

22 minutes ago, DaveyH said:

Am I within my rights to get it done myself and then invoice them?

Utility arb work is all dependant on the proximity distances between the tree and live wires and the qualifications of the people doing the work. Sometimes any work requires a shut down .

There is provision in the legislation for a landowner to do the necessary work and charge for it but you would have to comply with all the safety requirements of the Distribution Network Operator, Electricity Northwest in this case.

They will want to remove all branches  from near to the live wire and a bit more to allow for "resilience" for the next five years..

You are better off asking that they do the work to British Standard for tree work 3998 as was and not allow the use of climbing irons if the tree is to be retained. Utility arbs have spikes permanently attached to their boots.

12 hours ago, Khriss said:

No. They wont have that. They might ask you to sign a disclaimer to the effect of any loss of service  plus compensation, iz down to you. I would let them  get on with it. K

Wrong bad advice

Edited by dumper
Clarification
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, DaveyH said:

The cable runs over my land but according to their plans doesn't so there is no wayleave in place or I don't think there is.

When you check this you may find it is an easement rather than a wayleave and this will show on your deeds, easements are a bit more onerous for the landowner.

11 hours ago, dumper said:

If the cable is not supplying your property or outbuilding with no wayleave ( it’s unusual to wayleave above ground you have every right to give them notice to remove the cable at there expense

Please be care full with giving them notice to quit. Even when no way leaves are in place, 2 years notice to quit is needed. And even when you have gone down this route remember electric companies will be as awkward as any one in not wanting to do this. They do have statutory powers which they rarely use but can. I know from spending over 4 years messing about with muppets at Northern electric. Remember most of them are unfortunate ly jobs worth you would not employ to pick the broom handle from floor. One tact that can work but can be interpreted as aggressive is treating to remove poles by felling them. Yes slightly dangerous with live line but can be safely done. They do not Want work or interruption to supply. All said and done if only few trees by low voltage, a live line worker can work 1m from 1kv line so you could insist they are sensitive ly trimmed every 2 years. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Everishgreen said:

Please be care full with giving them notice to quit. Even when no way leaves are in place, 2 years notice to quit is needed. And even when you have gone down this route remember electric companies will be as awkward as any one in not wanting to do this. They do have statutory powers which they rarely use but can. I know from spending over 4 years messing about with muppets at Northern electric. Remember most of them are unfortunate ly jobs worth you would not employ to pick the broom handle from floor. One tact that can work but can be interpreted as aggressive is treating to remove poles by felling them. Yes slightly dangerous with live line but can be safely done. They do not Want work or interruption to supply. All said and done if only few trees by low voltage, a live line worker can work 1m from 1kv line so you could insist they are sensitive ly trimmed every 2 

35 minutes ago, Everishgreen said:

Please be care full with giving them notice to quit. Even when no way leaves are in place, 2 years notice to quit is needed. And even when you have gone down this route remember electric companies will be as awkward as any one in not wanting to do this. They do have statutory powers which they rarely use but can. I know from spending over 4 years messing about with muppets at Northern electric. Remember most of them are unfortunate ly jobs worth you would not employ to pick the broom handle from floor. One tact that can work but can be interpreted as aggressive is treating to remove poles by felling them. Yes slightly dangerous with live line but can be safely done. They do not Want work or interruption to supply. All said and done if only few trees by low voltage, a live line worker can work 1m from 1kv line so you could insist they are sensitive ly trimmed every 2 years. 

They have already admitted that the supply isn’t on the drawings as a single domestic supply they have no right to cross a private garden or to remove trees from the garden 

my neighbour wants to build a garage where the power crosses his land he’s given notice to uk power to remove the overheads within 6 months they apparently have to move them it would be different if the same cable fed is house then it stays