Looking for a DMM captain hook.

ledders666

On 17/06/2021 at 07:52, Paddy1000111 said:

That's why I quite like the grapple, the one I have folds down. I ran a grinder over it to take the teeth off and round it off a bit as it would damage the cambium otherwise. 

This is the one I bought 

Lightweight and compact size with folding claws, very easy to carry and use. For outdoor activities, survival training, adventures. 1 Gravity hook. Hook size: 7.8" 3.9" 0.39". A...

Nope. If someone showed me that and told me they were actually using it I’d beat them over the head with it. Don’t be stupid. 

It might not be recognised as PPE but it’s certainly used in a such a manner that were it to fail, you could incur serious injury. 

To the OP, they’re dear for what they are, but very useful when you need one. The epple hook is also a good option. 

Edited by Mr. Squirrel
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Nope. If someone showed me that and old me they were actually using it I’d beat them over the head with it. Don’t be stupid. 

It might not be recognised as PPE but it’s certainly used in a such a manner that were it to fail, you could incur serious injury. 

To the OP, they’re dear for what they are, but very useful when you need one. The epple hook is also a good option. 

Sorry but I don't understand how you could incur serious injury. If you're trusting it (or any open system) to the point where you could have a serious fall/pendulum swing you deserve a serious injury. 

Neither that or the Captain hook is life support. What it is good for though is pulling yourself out to a branch where you need additional support or putting out on a limb to give yourself better stability for a pruning cut. I've ground the teeth off mine and rounded it off so it's not so aggressive. I even used it during my nptc pruning course. If you're not using it for life support it really doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

That's why I quite like the grapple, the one I have folds down. I ran a grinder over it to take the teeth off and round it off a bit as it would damage the cambium otherwise. 

This is the one I bought 
s-l400.jpg WWW.EBAY.CO.UK
Lightweight and compact size with folding claws, very easy to carry and use. For outdoor activities, survival training, adventures. 1 Gravity hook. Hook size: 7.8" 3.9" 0.39". A...  

Do you not have trouble freeing it though ?
Looks an interesting alternative.
I think Reg Coates uses similar ?

1 hour ago, Treerover said:

Do you not have trouble freeing it though ?
Looks an interesting alternative.
I think Reg Coates uses similar ?

Yes and no. It's less hooked than a dmm hook so it's not too bad. If the rope is tied to it tightly then a good flick usually frees it. If you clip it on with a carab it can be a bit of an arse. 

Reg coates uses one that's slightly bigger I think. I only got one after seeing his and how he was traversing between trees with it. Works a treat when you have multiple stems to deal with and you don't want to go down and back up the next stem.

I think the potential for misuse is the same no matter what brand you go for, you can risk a swing with any hook if you settle for a dodgy placement, which is sometimes the case.

I do think the captain is worth the money for the engineering that's gone into it and will undoubtedly be better for tree work. 

Like I've already said mine doesn't get used often but when it does its invaluable. I've got my mainline spliced both ends so I use the tail end for the hook when needed. Then when I get there I can use the tail as a second system. Having the hook on a seperate line in a bag is just a lot of faff for me. 

• Like 2

On 25/06/2021 at 23:46, Paddy1000111 said:

Sorry but I don't understand how you could incur serious injury. If you're trusting it (or any open system) to the point where you could have a serious fall/pendulum swing you deserve a serious injury. 

Neither that or the Captain hook is life support. What it is good for though is pulling yourself out to a branch where you need additional support or putting out on a limb to give yourself better stability for a pruning cut. I've ground the teeth off mine and rounded it off so it's not so aggressive. I even used it during my nptc pruning course. If you're not using it for life support it really doesn't matter. 

The fact that you don’t think you could get hurt using a throwing hook suggests to me you haven’t actually used them much or you use them for little traverses where you could just swing. 

It’s laughable that I’ve often seen you cite industry code of practice or whatever, and yet you climb using random crap off eBay

• Like 1

Agreed. The hook isnt life support sure, but its been tested and wont itself fail. The whole point of the hooks and grapples is to move horizontally, so obviously pendulum swings are possible. Last thing you want is to pull yourself over to the grapple and it breaks right as the load is at its highest and you are at the worst possible swing point. Buy a hook, keep it for 10yrs, bargain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2021 at 22:27, Mr. Squirrel said:

It’s laughable that I’ve often seen you cite industry code of practice or whatever, and yet you climb using random crap off eBay

That might be because I'm aware that it's "random crap" off eBay and don't use it for life support. There are absolutely no rules as to what you can and can't use up a tree when it's not safety critical. Maybe your confusion is caused by the fact you sound like you use it unrated non-ppe as life support, but you do you. 

When I use mine it's for getting to a odd location where I want an additional hand hold or if I'm moving between stems and can't reach or swing easily, I just have more control. I've never been in a situation where failure could cause severe injury.

• 3 weeks later...