What Happens When You Eat Too Much

Billhook

17 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

People amaze me; either help it, or bang it on the head (either is acceptable). What you don't do, is stand their filming it whilst it's scared half to death. 

We do have a no kill policy around the home and garden so with a rescue there is a bit of planning.  Need to find a pair of thick leather gloves.  This squirrel could whip round and bite quicker than I can react.  Where to grab takes a bit of luck so that I am not bitten or scratched and then to gently ease the thing through the bars was not easy but I am happy to say it did not appear to suffer any harm.  It has happened before with another squirrel and the culprit returned the same day.

Banging on the head in is not acceptable when you have not a stable object to hit and of course you have to go and look for something suitable to hit it with if you are going to dispatch it humanely

The thing had probably been stuck there for over an hour, forty seconds of film was not going to make a lot of difference and five minutes of finding gloves .

I assume that you would have been a real man and just have grabbed it with your bare hands and strangled it  You amaze me.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, Billhook said:

We do have a no kill policy around the home and garden so with a rescue there is a bit of planning.  Need to find a pair of thick leather gloves.  This squirrel could whip round and bite quicker than I can react.  Where to grab takes a bit of luck so that I am not bitten or scratched and then to gently ease the thing through the bars was not easy but I am happy to say it did not appear to suffer any harm.  It has happened before with another squirrel and the culprit returned the same day.

Banging on the head in is not acceptable when you have not a stable object to hit and of course you have to go and look for something suitable to hit it with if you are going to dispatch it humanely

The thing had probably been stuck there for over an hour, forty seconds of film was not going to make a lot of difference and five minutes of finding gloves .

I assume that you would have been a real man and just have grabbed it with your bare hands and strangled it  You amaze me.

You make a lot of assumptions whilst scratching around trying to build a coherent argument. I don't think you've even persuaded yourself with the above.

FYI, I'd have either shot it, or snipped one of the bars that was stopping it with some side cutters (with my hand safely inside a welding gauntlet obviously). 

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

You've got a no kill policy, but it's against the law to release grey squirrels once captured. What do you do then?

• Like 2

Also I see that although it is meant to be illegal to release a squirrel caught in a trap, it is not illegal to release a rat in the same way.  Quote

Forr example, the view of the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) is that the release of brown/common rats (Rattus norvegicus) into the wild is not unlawful under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 because, despite their non-native origins, they could be classed as 'ordinarily resident' in ...

wonder who makes these laws

• Like 1

To be fair, the squirrel thing is to do with the intentional trapping of them not if you find one stuck somewhere. I've had to get one out of the drain before because a customer was one of the animal rights lot and loved squirrels to bits. Had a regular glove on and just grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and threw it about 6ft across the garden. Seen a dog have a nose piercing from one before and I'm not messing with that 

• Like 1