Best chainsaw chain - what do the pros use?

Meds

On 15/06/2021 at 07:25, Pete Mctree said:

I use a double bevel file for the square ground & sharpen from the inside out. I know it’s not recommended, but it gives the best results for me. It was hard to get my head around initially, but worth the work as the performance is second to non.

Where do you get your double bevel files from Pete? Seem hard to source. Tempted on giving it try

• 2 weeks later...

Generally I use oregon semi chisel. I have some stihl semi chisel that is nice as the loops pre stretched to start with. I have recently been using husqvarna h25 but only as I got a deal on it. I've always used semi chisel and given it a few passes every tank of fuel.

On the bigger saws Oregon 72dp again semi chisel but in 3/8 absoulte pain to get hold of. Anything over about 24 inches 72jxl as I'm lazy and don't want to sharpen too 

Many teeth.

Guidebars I use sugi as my go to. I've only managed to break 2 one 13 and one 18 inch bar. I like a solid bar over a laminate as I tend to use the nose a lot so they wear and easily replaced. I've got a 36 inch stihl  that has had about 4 noses and has 1mm of wear left on the rails. Didn't get on with GB bars as I found them prone to chipping. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 23/02/2022 at 22:42, trigger_andy said:

Give Rotatec chains a try.

I’d not say they where the best chain out there but two 18” chains delivered for £20 they certainly are the best value for money. The pre-stretch is good. They hold their sharpness very well. And so far they’ve sharpened nicely.

I could not find the exact address of those who provide this service. Does Rotatec have an address?