Best chainsaw chain - what do the pros use?

Meds

26 minutes ago, Meds said:

It's interesting that you all are using Oregon or Rotatech. I thought Stihl would be the go-to brand.

I have used Stihl and they're good chains, as are husqvarna, Oregon and Rotatech but when you're using chains every day you never know what's inside the wood so when there's so little different between those 4 it doesn't balance out the huge price difference. 

Roughly speaking, Stihl and Husqvarna are £23, Oregon are £15 and Rotatech are £8 for a 15inch bar. That's plus vat and I'm sure you can get better deals or pay more of course.

• Like 3

I find Oregon good chain,  it seems to loose it’s edge quicker than the Stihl which is much harder steel and when damaged is harder sharpen. I run both and mix and match depending on use.
I predominantly use full chisel as the performance is far superior, however if I am dealing with dirty timber eg that has been skidded, I keep a couple of loops of semi-chisel in the truck as it is so much more forgiving.

Gets silly though - I had 3 saws on-site today. A felling saw with 20” stihl square ground full chisel, a second felling saw with a 25” Oregon square ground full chisel for the bigger stuff and a third saw with 25” Oregon semi chisel on the landing for cross cutting. After 11 hours onsite, there was a big pile of chains for sharpening after tea this evening  ( they needed a tin of Guinness each though 👍)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pete Mctree said:

I find Oregon good chain,  it seems to loose it’s edge quicker than the Stihl which is much harder steel and when damaged is harder sharpen. I run both and mix and match depending on use.
I predominantly use full chisel as the performance is far superior, however if I am dealing with dirty timber eg that has been skidded, I keep a couple of loops of semi-chisel in the truck as it is so much more forgiving.

Gets silly though - I had 3 saws on-site today. A felling saw with 20” stihl square ground full chisel, a second felling saw with a 25” Oregon square ground full chisel for the bigger stuff and a third saw with 25” Oregon semi chisel on the landing for cross cutting. After 11 hours onsite, there was a big pile of chains for sharpening after tea this evening  ( they needed a tin of Guinness each though 👍)

What shape files do you use for the square ground Pete ? and do you file " out side in " as opposed to " inside out " like on round ground ?

I use a double bevel file for the square ground & sharpen from the inside out. I know it’s not recommended, but it gives the best results for me. It was hard to get my head around initially, but worth the work as the performance is second to non.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been running Stihl full chisel, sharp as hell and last for ages crosscutting or in the tree but I'm tempted by other companies semi-chisel options for domestic work on the ground where the trees are absolutely full of shite a full chisel gets absolutely demolished by even the tiniest bit of junk. One little bit of crap in a tree and I'm grinding .5-1mm off the chain which is a lot of life lost... 

Edited by Paddy1000111

A few of you using rotatech now.  Aren't these the same as the pirhana chains that Northern ARB supplies were selling cheap bundles of a few years ago?  I thought a few people tried them, thought 'these seem ok!'. Then after a week they snapped them and decided to go back to Stihl/husqvarna etc'.  I've used several on a little ms180 and they are fine, but avoided for my 365xt.

2 hours ago, neiln said:

A few of you using rotatech now.  Aren't these the same as the pirhana chains that Northern ARB supplies were selling cheap bundles of a few years ago?  I thought a few people tried them, thought 'these seem ok!'. Then after a week they snapped them and decided to go back to Stihl/husqvarna etc'.  I've used several on a little ms180 and they are fine, but avoided for my 365xt.

They are the Northern Arb ones, we get through 20-30 in a year between the processor and saws and have no problems than any other brand though. I've a heard of few people who have tried 1 and not been happy but everyone who's used them for for a while seem to get on with them.

I also know someone who had long delays but I've always had good service.

• Like 2

I have half a dozen Rotatech chains for my 135 and have had no problems with any of them. I just use them till they get blunt or hit something then sharpen probably 4 at once with the Lidl electric bench sharpener. I did have one with a tight link once but it soon loosened up in use, no big drama.

10 hours ago, neiln said:

I run them up to 36” and never had any problems at all. 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2021 at 07:25, Pete Mctree said:

I use a double bevel file for the square ground & sharpen from the inside out. I know it’s not recommended, but it gives the best results for me. It was hard to get my head around initially, but worth the work as the performance is second to non.

I agree i was taught to do it out-side to in and with the double bevel file. It gives you a razor sharp chain for cross cutting in decent wood. Hard to learn and get right at first but once you can do it you won't look back.

• Like 1