Best chainsaw chain - what do the pros use?

Meds

I’m assuming most on here are professionals, so interested in hearing/learning from your experience. 

What bars/chains do you use?

Talking about: use, what saw, bar size, brands, and specifics such as pitch, tooth profile, standard or skip tooth, and anything else you think could be relevant/useful.

What works best?

Edited by Meds

1 hour ago, Meds said:

I’m assuming most on here are professionals, so interested in hearing/learning from your experience. 

Talking about: use, what saw, bar size, brands, and specifics such as pitch, tooth profile, standard or skip tooth, and anything else you think could be relevant/useful.

What works best?

I use Oregon full chisle most of the time . .325" up to 50/60cc  15"/18" bar , 375" up to about 80/90cc 24"/28" bar and .405 above that .  I have some standard and some full skip in the longer bars . Keep them sharp and out of the dirt .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 4

Oregon bars and chains unless Rob d has sugi light bars in.

Sthill and husky bars and chain I noticed no difference for added cost.

Rototech maybe OK for surgery or domestic user but not in the woods.

Sthil 500i 18inch to 24 inch sometimes use a 16 inch but it does try to kill you.

Anything else up to 60cc  on a 15 inch bar.

Full chisel of course... this is forestry not floristry 😀. If a homeowner would go with semi chisel however.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Meds said:

What works best?

All Oregon,full chisel on the bigger saws(60cc and above)semi chisel on everything smaller for hedging/coppicing

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nemcc said:

Oregon bars and chains unless Rob d has sugi light bars in.

Sthill and husky bars and chain I noticed no difference for added cost.

Rototech maybe OK for surgery or domestic user but not in the woods.

Sthil 500i 18inch to 24 inch sometimes use a 16 inch but it does try to kill you.

Anything else up to 60cc  on a 15 inch bar.

Full chisel of course... this is forestry not floristry 😀. If a homeowner would go with semi chisel however.

Rotatech are fine for me in the woods, what issues do you have with them? Semi chisel round here usually, we are on sand. I use an MS462 with a 20” and an echo cs501x with a picco 16”. The picco really makes a difference in the cut speed. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Meds said:

It's interesting that you all are using Oregon or Rotatech. I thought Stihl would be the go-to brand.

I was thinking the same.

My experience:

I (hobby) mill and the Oregon stuff seems to lose it's edge and stretch. Stihl although a little more pricey (not much really) takes an edge and lasts the distance.

Happy to be shouted down by professional millers as every day is a learning day with the milling.

Bob