Bar using boring ply and fake oak worktops but turned out ok

Mark armstrong

I worked in a boat yard so worked with some really experienced guys.The floors were welded with T-bar like a grid and then concrete slabs laid to sit the boat down in the water and even the weight out depending how the boat was to be fitted. The ones i ended up working on were a lot wider than the normal uk narrow boats as they were for a chap over in ireland who had a B&B on there river shannon 

So do you need to calculate the above floor weight to be added before applying the buoyancy / concrete slabs to give you a max permissible weight or can you just do pretty much what you like regards fitting out?

2 minutes ago, Ratman said:

So do you need to calculate the above floor weight to be added before applying the buoyancy / concrete slabs to give you a max permissible weight or can you just do pretty much what you like regards fitting out?

You can usually access the hull to shift/add/remove ballast.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark armstrong said:

First for me but shouldn't be too hard like after all it's just cutting wood haha 

First rule of thumb forget your spirit level mark and 90% is scribing stuff.Really enjoyable work mind 

Edited by topchippyles

14 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Boat shells were made in an old barn which had a slipway into the canal just outside nantwich. The main plater and welder were ex british rail as crewe used to be a where the trains were made so really good tradesmen in steel fabrication. Had a fitter who worked for rolls-royce for 30 years and took the hand shake then worked part time there.Joiner was a cornish guy who had moved to the area after marrying a local girl. I ended up there as girlfriend at the time was in university and got offered a job by a lad in the quiz team we used to go to. 

Edited by topchippyles

8 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Boat shells were made in an old barn which had a slipway into the canal just outside nantwich. The main plater and welder were ex british rail as crewe used to be a where the trains were made so really good tradesmen in steel fabrication. Had a fitter who worked for rolls-royce for 30 years and took the hand shake then worked part time there.Joiner was a cornish guy who had moved to the area after marrying a local girl. I ended up there as girlfriend at the time was in university and got offered a job by a lad in the quiz team we used to go to. 

Just simple answer will do Les, was the builders Collingwood's, if not who?

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Just simple answer will do Les, was the builders Collingwood's, if not who?

Not sure this was nearly 30 year ago eggs.The yard was on the nantwich road 10 miles outside crew if that is any help. John dytch was the owners name.Blue boats they were and had a hired fleet. I went out to germany working straight after that.

Edited by topchippyles

5 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Not sure this was nearly 30 year ago eggs.The yard was on the nantwich road 10 miles outside crew if that is any help. John dytch was the owners name.Blue boats they were and had a hired fleet. I went out to germany working straight after that.

John Dytch was Dartline, he moved down the cut to Stourbridge in the mid nineties. Don't know if he's still about.

• Like 1