Mid range strimmer

Treemover

We have a big husky on the farm and it’s a heavy pig for clearing grass and weeds around fence poles . I have rented other machines, and they are usually 4 stoke or large 2 stoke. All heavy lumps.

yesterday I rented a Stihl fs70c and when I grabbed it ; it was so light. I was impressed by its performance. 

Only thing, my brother owns the husky. The big one; but he’s killed it twice. So he bought an ego battery model, im sure it is the small one; but it’s put up with years of torture. 

I have a 30 hp kioti with a concept flail, so just need a strimmer to tidy up edges and hard to reach areas on boundaries etc. 

i have a 1000w inverter; so I have no problem using a battery; and I don’t like using stimmers continuously, so I could do other things as it charges

the real attraction is no fuel. No smell in the Jeep. 

Ohh, I find changing out the cord a pain,  esp if the boundary is by a wall or fence. I seem to chew through cord in 3-5 mins. Is the auto feed a good thing? 

I was so impressed by the Stihl fs70c I’d be happy to buy one. But I’m also tempted to opt for an ego or husky battery unit. Most likely the husky as I then plan on the new top handled 540i when I can afford it. 

Any advice? Much appreciated 

A Stihl FS460 will do all you want, is well balanced, comfortabel harness, and mine have been very tough.

The anti vibration of the big petrol Stihls (360 upwards) is far better than the FS70 or 94. Not sure about electric, but I'd rather have the power personally. If you're going in with a tractor flail and then tidying the edges, there may not be a lot to strim but it will still be plenty thick, and you need a brushcutter not a strimmer IMHO.

As for petrol getting more expensive- I take it you're not looking to change the tractor for a hydrogen one on that basis?! So don't worry about it, that litre of petrol for strimming the edges will save you many times it's cost over waiting for a comparatively gutless battery machine to finish the job. If you don't like the smell, leave the strimmer on the trailer with the tractor!

Batteries are great for domestics, they are not cost effective enough yet for commercial and rural clearance. There's a reason forestry crews don't run electric saws yet (and probably never will)

Edited by doobin

I’m not really interested in bigger units. We have the largest Husky and I don’t like using it. Plus it’s extra outlay. 

I don’t strim too often. But renting units at €40 per day and the lost time collecting and dropping it back eats into my productivity. 

If the battery units won’t run a 3mil line; that rules them out; I see they recommend 2 mil; but is anyone using 3 mil with different heads?

i like the husky feed system. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treemover said:

I’m not really interested in bigger units. We have the largest Husky and I don’t like using it. Plus it’s extra outlay. 

I don’t strim too often. But renting units at €40 per day and the lost time collecting and dropping it back eats into my productivity. 

If the battery units won’t run a 3mil line; that rules them out; I see they recommend 2 mil; but is anyone using 3 mil with different heads?

i like the husky feed system. 

Battery units simply don’t have the power to cope with the extra drag of 3mm line. Much as battery saws won’t pull a 20” bar. It is what it is. 

• Like 1

I currently have 3 different stimmer/brushcutters.

2stroke 52cc (Kawasaki)

4stroke 50cc (Honda)

36v Husky 535

The one that gets the most use, and earns the most money for me, is the husky battery machine. It's been on 2.7mm square line from new, nearly 18mths now.

Low vibe, low noise, low running costs, no exhaust fumes, really nice balance to it (with bli300 battery)

I've never used a Stihl fs70, but if it's 27cc then the Husky battery 535 will be a good bit more powerful.

The inverter would be no use for battery charging, you need mains power.

Agree with Dumper, look at all the tools available in each battery system.

7 minutes ago, scbk said:

I currently have 3 different stimmer/brushcutters.

2stroke 52cc (Kawasaki)

4stroke 50cc (Honda)

36v Husky 535

The one that gets the most use, and earns the most money for me, is the husky battery machine. It's been on 2.7mm square line from new, nearly 18mths now.

Low vibe, low noise, low running costs, no exhaust fumes, really nice balance to it (with bli300 battery)

I've never used a Stihl fs70, but if it's 27cc then the Husky battery 535 will be a good bit more powerful.

The inverter would be no use for battery charging, you need mains power.

Agree with Dumper, look at all the tools available in each battery system.

That’s very reassuring. 

On 12/06/2021 at 10:15, Treemover said:

We have a big husky on the farm and it’s a heavy pig for clearing grass and weeds around fence poles . I have rented other machines, and they are usually 4 stoke or large 2 stoke. All heavy lumps.

yesterday I rented a Stihl fs70c and when I grabbed it ; it was so light. I was impressed by its performance. 

Only thing, my brother owns the husky. The big one; but he’s killed it twice. So he bought an ego battery model, im sure it is the small one; but it’s put up with years of torture. 

I have a 30 hp kioti with a concept flail, so just need a strimmer to tidy up edges and hard to reach areas on boundaries etc. 

i have a 1000w inverter; so I have no problem using a battery; and I don’t like using stimmers continuously, so I could do other things as it charges

Ohh, I find changing out the cord a pain,  esp if the boundary is by a wall or fence. I seem to chew through cord in 3-5 mins. Is the auto feed a good thing? 

I was so impressed by the Stihl fs70c I’d be happy to buy one. But I’m also tempted to opt for an ego or husky battery unit. Most likely the husky as I then plan on the new top handled 540i when I can afford it. 

Used to use top of the range Husqvarna brushcutter/strimmers which were powerful (>50 cm3) but heavy but needed the power on some jobs and were replaced at the end of each grass cutting season, but have been using now for some Stihl FS450 which is 44cm3 (2.1kW) with 2.4mm line and blade (equivalent now would be FS460), I find the FS 450 not too heavy and with enough power for most situations, the FS70c would definitely not be powerful enough to meet my needs (27cm3/0.9kW) but I could imagine it would be suitable for lighter grass cutting jobs and doesn’t weigh as much. No experience with battery powered machines but would think probably not powerful enough for my needs. 

On 12/06/2021 at 10:15, Treemover said:

Hi Friends doing Solar Farms when up to it go give him some help and there like the wild west/jungle chest height  some of the gears grown not to mention the grass etc is very dense as most get a large dollop of Country pancake through the soil as on farms.

Hes been using a head that you unscrew top and strings half loop in gear hes found is an orange stuff that has a twist in it to me looks like the Husky whisper? but been pretty tough lasts well but like most with the sudden growth most places have had since cold spell ended finding grass n crap folds on head and chokes it.

But my Kawasaki KBH48 have an Oregon Jet pro head run flexy blade which is ok around structure and the Techni blade (RED) some like the thinner ones but that with two strings decimates the grass one sweep and it's like been cutting the Hay! but also heads clear unless you don't go back into bunches then can collect a bit.

But the Techni blade lasts very well(Just make sure mind like should with all strimmer cord keep it moist or becomes brittle! tubes come with a foam pad which is to make wet every so often and keep tube sealed up but i have a large plastic box with sealed lid.

Friends now gone to that system.

It will take out Brambles and quite heavy stuff also there are some videos on you tube on it.

With Machines it's all about setting up the Harness! as a decently sett up heavy machine will always feel better/easier than a poorly set up light one.

Harness that gets good rep is the Husky Balance XT

• Like 1