Running a Bussiness from home.

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Neighbours do not have any say in what the place looks like and  the enforcement officer's letter is not concerned about the look. He says there may be a change of use. Use classes are apparently changing but the effect will be similar, homes were class C. Commercial was divided into B1 offices and things that can be done in residential districts B2 light industrial but I suspect they are looking at B8 storage of material and equipment in the open and this has nothing to do with whether the vehicles are taxed, insured or roadworthy etc.

Also I suspect A1 premises where the public visit for a service

Very helpfull i will look in to this. Cheers..

8 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

All of those saying running a business from home is ok, would you want to see that lot plus a JCB Loadall parked over the road from your place, and the coming and going of lads each end of the day? I very much doubt it.

I might object to shopping trolleys and old mattresses lying around,  but someone earning a crust, no objections 

15 minutes ago, Con said:

I might object to shopping trolleys and old mattresses lying around,  but someone earning a crust, no objections 

It’s a bit more than ‘earning a crust’ isn’t it? 

I have seen houses with vans, diggers and generators outside clearly parked and stored to save money on having a proper yard.

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It’s a bit more than ‘earning a crust’ isn’t it? 

I have seen houses with vans, diggers and generators outside clearly parked and stored to save money on having a proper yard.

That bit I don't get. He says he's got a yard, so I don't understand the situation. But as I say, wouldn't bother, well doesn't bother me. Roofer over the road, fella does driveways 2 doors up. I park my van and occasionally the chipper overnight. we have a bit of a pact. 'Don't tidy up your drive, or I'll have to do mine'

• Like 1

Doesn't bother me, but looking at the photo you can see why a local busy body would complain about having all the kit parked in the front of a house on a 'quiet' residential street, especially with workers coming and going

Interesting post as I had to look at this carefully when I started up my business from home.

Firstly, if you ignore it, it will get worse and is likely to make you look guilty so talk to them, be polite and be open, no hiding vans round the corner on the day of the inspection.

From what I learnt (you can look at your local councils web page) , councils to determine there has been a change of use to a property will be looking for: -

1) No excessive visits from your customers or deliveries or pickups.

2) No blocked roads with excessive customer parking of vehicles interrupting neighbours access. 

3) No excessive noise from visitors or running the business - milling in a residential back garden for instance!

4) No excessive smells from running the business

5) No advertising boards outside the property

6) No change of structure to the house or land to accommodate the business - having a four pillar hydraulic ramp, inspection pit and cars parked up and down the street will be a red rag!!

7) The time that anything happens for - a couple of deliveries a day is pretty average for an eBay fiend or a lady that likes mail order clothes..........etc

Getting on with your neighbours helps a lot but it is often not them but the neighbours neighbours or even people further away.

In your case, I would say you are OK if your wagons are only parked on your drive with nothing else going on. If you are maintaining chippers, taking the vans apart, having a load of workers coming and going using up the parking spaces along the road, it may be viewed differently. Your business yard will be a big help in your defence.

It would be good if both wagons were parked up the side of the house but guess that can't be done.

You could phone the council, express to them your current usage and then see if they still need to come out and see you. They may just need a letter from you stating your use of the property and it may go away if you don't deviate from it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

All of those saying running a business from home is ok, would you want to see that lot plus a JCB Loadall parked over the road from your place, and the coming and going of lads each end of the day? I very much doubt it.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest! You lot down there are easily annoyed 🤣🤣 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

Interesting post as I had to look at this carefully when I started up my business from home.

Firstly, if you ignore it, it will get worse and is likely to make you look guilty so talk to them, be polite and be open, no hiding vans round the corner on the day of the inspection.

From what I learnt (you can look at your local councils web page) , councils to determine there has been a change of use to a property will be looking for: -

1) No excessive visits from your customers or deliveries or pickups.

2) No blocked roads with excessive customer parking of vehicles interrupting neighbours access. 

3) No excessive noise from visitors or running the business - milling in a residential back garden for instance!

4) No excessive smells from running the business

5) No advertising boards outside the property

6) No change of structure to the house or land to accommodate the business - having a four pillar hydraulic ramp, inspection pit and cars parked up and down the street will be a red rag!!

7) The time that anything happens for - a couple of deliveries a day is pretty average for an eBay fiend or a lady that likes mail order clothes..........etc

Getting on with your neighbours helps a lot but it is often not them but the neighbours neighbours or even people further away.

In your case, I would say you are OK if your wagons are only parked on your drive with nothing else going on. If you are maintaining chippers, taking the vans apart, having a load of workers coming and going using up the parking spaces along the road, it may be viewed differently. Your business yard will be a big help in your defence.

It would be good if both wagons were parked up the side of the house but guess that can't be done.

You could phone the council, express to them your current usage and then see if they still need to come out and see you. They may just need a letter from you stating your use of the property and it may go away if you don't deviate from it.

Cheers Spud. I'm currently in the process of digging the bank out on the Right hand side of the property to take the jbc off the front and possibly one van. I haven't got any advertisement signs up and the vans only have a small sticker on them. When I called to book the appointment the guy stated that he could not give any details about who has made the complaint but he might be able to give me a couple of useful pointers.... lol.