Running a Bussiness from home.

Got the council on my back as they have received a complaint regarding a unauthorised change of use - Business from home and they need to come out to visit to determine whether i am in breach of planning.

Has anyone been in a simlor situation? I just park 2 vans and a loadall on the drive and keep abit of kit in the garage most of my bigger kit is in a lock up, no wase comes back as i have a yard. 

What are they likely to ask?  Surely every self employed plumber, sparkey ect ect run the same.

Any help would be much appreciated?

Regards Dan

Can you post a photo so we get an idea of what it looks like?

I suspect you will be fine, but I guess it is a reminder that perception is everything.  If it looks s bit much and looks s but like a business premises it might upset people.

You could take the approach of asking the council what they think is acceptable.  They can’t exactly say that no tradesman can park a sign written van on their drive, so can they tell you what the limit is?  If they tell you that only one van is allowed then you will have to comply with that.

48 minutes ago, Unframed Dave said:

Not saying you shouldn't stand your ground, but once you start wrestling a pig in shit, you will find out how much the pig enjoys it. 

Dave 

That is BRILLIANT! Love it 😂

11 minutes ago, Khriss said:

That would appear a bit much, two vans  ( signwritten ?) one and woodchipper in yr shed out of sight may get you by, two vans smacks of operational business   🤔 K

Don’t tell ‘em your name Pike!

So what? So a bloke parks a couple of work vehicles at his home address.... sign written, sprinkled with fairy dust and painted fluorescent orange, so what?

Bloke in the next village parks a Western Power 4x4 on his drive - doesn’t mean he’s secretly coordinating the SW England strategic power network from a clandestine  loft conversion, just means he’s lawfully parking an insured, taxed and roadworthy work vehicle either on the public highway or at his place of residence after he’s finished work. 

Small business is being CRUSHED by officialdom!  These people are the true, unsung heroes, the last rebels of the wild frontier,  in an increasingly office bound, add no value, compliant population of docile white collar mongs that bow down to ‘authority’ in what ever misguided / misapplied form it may take we should recognise, value, rally to support and defend the right of a working man to place bread on the table. 

Don’t fear the ‘pig’ because it may enjoy rolling in shit (at tax payers’ expense.)  If the pig comes knocking, lather yourself in shit grab the pig by the neck and pull it into the shitpool!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

You could take the approach of asking the council what they think is acceptable.  They can’t exactly say that no tradesman can park a sign written van on their drive, so can they tell you what the limit is?  If they tell you that only one van is allowed then you will have to comply with that.

If you ask what ‘they’ think is acceptable you are immediately conceding that ‘they’ have some form of ‘authority’ to express (and potentially enforce) an opinion.

‘They’ have absolutely no ‘authority’ to dictate how many vehicles a man may park at his place of residence. 

There are already ‘laws’ in effect which define what may ‘legally’ be used (including parking) on a public highway and regulations as to the avoidance of nuisance or obstruction of said highway. 

There is nothing, so far as I’m aware, that defines the number of vehicles someone might own and use.  

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 4

Work out your facts 

1 how long have you lived in house

2 how old is the business

3 how long have you parked vehicles at your house 

4 do you rent or own / mortgage 

5 can you prove you have a yard

there are time limits for the council to act but I’m not sure how long 

do your employees/ subs come to your house each morning 

I had similar problems parking tractor on drive council turned up not much they could do 

however check your deeds as parking vans etc could be not allowed

• Like 1