What gear???

john87

2 hours ago, htb said:

Quite common with the modern low slung harness designs, you get used to it and the benefits in ease of movement outweigh the downsides.

Ah I see!! Thanks for that.. I was messing about with it earlier and found a setting where i could sit there in a "neutral" position i think it is called. Not saying you would want to sit there all day like it, but secure feeling and comfy enough despite me having a rather unfortunate medical condition.. Oh, ok, go on then, google "hydrocele"...

john!!

• 3 weeks later...

15 hours ago, john87 said:

Hi All,

What are the best boots to use with spurs?? What do you all use??

Thank you

john..

I have a pair of Pfanner Zermatts which are quite popular for spiking in . Bit stiff for ground work  but not impossible for an all rounder boot .

• Like 1

Well, In the end i got an Arbpro tree access 3 harness. I like it a lot, seems comfy enough and i have managed to adjust it so that i am in a fairly upright position as this is what suits me.. I chose it largely because they do a chest harness for it, that not only converts it to a full approved fall arrest harness, [just right for when the fire brigade have to come and rescue me!!] but i am one of them with very narrow hips so i thought the chest harness would stop it all ending up round my Ankles with the weight of gear hanging from it..

Climbed up my first tree today too!! Was well scary as it is some sort of coniferous thing at least 3 feet in diameter and is about 30 feet to the lowest branches. Was not filled with confidence either as i could see that at some time branches have been breaking off the thing, so i did not trust the thing one bit... I went up on a self tending blakes hitch and came back down with a figure eight to save wearing the rope.. Did not enjoy it one bit to be honest.. I am no good at doing that "hip thrust" thing and soon found the the easiest way for me is to push up the tree with my legs while just hauling the rope in with my hands..

Was a bit miffed to find that what i thought would be hard anodising on my friction saver rings had worn through after one climb where the rings rub together due to the rope pressure.. Is this usual??

Next i had a go with spikes on a different tree. I got Notch gecko steel spikes, and for boots i got Haix protector light 2-0 boots..

Well, what can i say.. Spikes are a different world.. Got used to them in the first 6 inches, and after that soooo easy.. They just feel so safe and stable. Soon learnt that you want to be well close to the tree as this seems much more stable, and well, not scary in the least!! Cannot wait to have another go!!

The boots were great, the spikes do not move around at all.. I was surprised at the force required to yank the gaffs out of the tree when you go to take the next step though!!. It was so easy that i had to force myself to just take little steps and not big ones..

john...

• Like 2

Sounds good John. Little steps are the way forward on spikes, and don't stamp them in either, place your foot and let your weight set the gaff in which will make it easier to pull out.

I'd try to master hip thrusting too as using your arms to pull your weight up is energy sapping and likely to lead to sore arms and shoulders quickly.

Don't worry about the rings, they'll polish up with friction, make sure you inspect regularly by looking and touching to check for roughness or thinning of the metal.

Glad you enjoyed it!

• Like 2

On 25/06/2021 at 20:04, john87 said:

Anyone got any advice on adjusting a harness?? At the moment a lot of the time i end up having to hold onto the rope to avoid falling backwards! Other than wearing lead filled boots, which adjustments should i be looking at first??

john..

If you can try to change the length of the bridge.  This will affect how you will hang.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Sounds good John. Little steps are the way forward on spikes, and don't stamp them in either, place your foot and let your weight set the gaff in which will make it easier to pull out.

I'd try to master hip thrusting too as using your arms to pull your weight up is energy sapping and likely to lead to sore arms and shoulders quickly.

Don't worry about the rings, they'll polish up with friction, make sure you inspect regularly by looking and touching to check for roughness or thinning of the metal.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, it was quite fun!! [in a perverse way!!] I think one mistake i made was roping up a tree with a ten metre trunk.. Would feel loads safer with some branches round you!! Would be a lot better if i was more certain of the condition of the tree too, and that my anchor point was not going to fall off. Seems that conifers are very prone to bits just falling off, wonder why that is??

Feel LOADS happier on spikes though!! That is great fun, not so funny when up the tree you stop to take a photo and drop you glove!! happily it was easy on the way back down!!

john..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

If you can try to change the length of the bridge.  This will affect how you will hang.

I sorted what i was doing wrong!! i had the leg straps too short. When i lengthened them it was a world of difference!!

john..

• Like 2