What gear???

john87

Hi There,

I know what i need, but not what makes and stuff i should be going for.. I was thinking steel spikes as cheaper, not too worried about weight, so was thinking Notch gecko perhaps?? Not a clue what rope though, Loads to choose from!!

Not worried about "gadgets" as i will not be doing much, so a simple three knot blakes hitch setup will do me just fine..

Just thought that he voice of experience, [you lot!!] would be better than me having a guess!!

john..

Look at a hitch climber pulley and learn to tie a hitch knot with a eye to eye friction cord you elbows and shoulders will thank you in 10 years time when your not a cripple like some that climbed on a Blake’s for toooooo long.

here should show you most knots, like harnesses find one that suits you. 

https://www.educatedclimber.com/knots/

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Will C said:

Look at a hitch climber pulley and learn to tie a hitch knot with a eye to eye friction cord you elbows and shoulders will thank you in 10 years time when your not a cripple like some that climbed on a Blake’s for toooooo long.

here should show you most knots, like harnesses find one that suits you. 

https://www.educatedclimber.com/knots/

Thank you very much!! That is just the sort of advice i am looking for!!

john..

11 minutes ago, Will C said:

Got to ask you all.. Why would people want to use a blakes hitch in the first place, instead of what i would think was far more simple to use, one of them eye to eye friction cords and a simple prusik?? Is it because with the blakes hitch all you need is the rope itself??

Another question!! What style of harness, a seat type one or the more usual leg loop sort. Reason for asking is i need whatever will not squash my nuts as owing to an unfortunate medical condition, squashed nuts are something i do not need!!!!

What am i looking for when i try out a harness?? Do they lift you up in the shop with a chain block or something to try it??

john..

If you live near(ish) a shop I would go try a few harnesses on and pick the best fitting. They are expensive but you should get 5 to 10yrs use from it so picking the right one is worth paying more for. There's a current post from someone who is having problems with a new harness, worth reading that post too.
You may find you replace or refine a lot of early purchases as you do more and start earning better money.
I tried one harness that I couldn't get on with but it was years ago and can't remember the make, it's a personal thing the fit so one man's nut crusher may be comfy as for someone else.
Good luck,
J.

• Like 1

Can i just say, you are all great on this forum.. Lots of forums, when a newbie asks a question they get told "leave it to professionals" You lot are great though..

I do not intend to be a professional tree surgeon or whatever they are called, but what i am up to, is i do a lot of voluntary work, that includes looking after a 60 acre site that has been sadly neglected over the years, and i am going to sort it out and put it back as it was nearly 50 years ago when i first got involved with the place.. Yes i am a bit old to be climbing up trees, but hey ho!!

I bought one of them Timberwolf chippers about a fortnight ago, brilliant buy that was, well, i think so.. Only 6 years old, just used by one man, once, on his own property, and needless to say it is in "as new" condition.

Now, if i can just manage to avoid falling out of a tree!!!

john..

• Like 3