Felling licence

Ty Korrigan

46 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

This story gives some detail: https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/like-warzone-box-hill-residents-20765568

So it looks like privately owned trees, not subject to a TPO. I would guess not subject to a felling licence as they'd be in a garden.

Anyone could complain to the FC if they wish.

They're not in a garden, thye are in the verge of a public road.

Edited by daltontrees
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul in the woods said:

You'd need to provide more detail. There are plenty of exemptions, such as felling in a garden or "open public space". I also think power companies are exempt and councils are a law unto themselves.

It's 'public open spaces' and they are defined in the Forestry Act and can't ever include public road corridors unless laid out as a public garden or used for the purpose of public recreation.

Utilities are exempt only if (and to the extent that) the trees are causing operational problems.

Councils are not exempt.

Edited by daltontrees

14 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

They're not in a garden, thye are in the verge of a public road.

Are they? What is the definition of a verge? I have trees that are in my garden but also on the border the road.

From the story I linked to the highways dept doesn't know if they are on their land or not. If they are on private land it is likely they will be part of the garden of the property.

Without knowing the full facts and establishing the exact ownership (something that can be costly and take months) you can't say if a FL is required or not, or indeed if any other laws have been broken.

Edited by Paul in the woods

The picture shows the stumps on a publicly accessible verge which might be in private ownership but is separated from the garden by a brick boundary wall. It's not the ownership that counts, it's the use.

I'm not saying the law has been broken. I said "This appears to be a breach of the Forestry Act as there are no clear exemptions that could have been used to avoid the need for a felling license." That is based on what anyone reading this post and its various links could know and see.

Just because there's a wall it doesn't mean it's the boundary does it? They may have just wanted to enclose their front garden. I've build walls at the front of properties that are not right on a boundary. I currently have an area at the front of my drive that isn't enclosed, it allows cars to pass on a narrow road. It is not public property.

From the article linked "A Surrey County Council spokesperson said its highways team had not felled any trees within 650m either side of Usherwood Close.

They added: "We have not sanctioned any works on these trees. The trees may or may not be on the highway verge, and will require a site visit to measure where they sit on the boundary or verge."

Highways will be arranging for someone to visit to ascertain the ownership of the trees and to decide what action could be taken, if they were public trees.

• Like 1