Roadside price of English oak?

dancoward86

Hi, I'm currently on a PAWS job whereby I've had to thin a number of oak. I was just wondering if someone could give me a rough price 'over bark' per tonne. I've been offered £150 a tonne delivered locally and feel that this is on the low side for plank wood. The trunks vary in diameter from roughly 18" to 36" and are as straight as an arrow. Sizes range from 3m to 6m. From a general inspection they vary in grade and some contain shakes. Any advice welcome

20210520_101408.jpg

2 minutes ago, dancoward86 said:

Hi, I'm currently on a PAWS job whereby I've had to thin a number of oak. I was just wondering if someone could give me a rough price 'over bark' per tonne. I've been offered £150 a tonne delivered locally and feel that this is on the low side for plank wood. The trunks vary in diameter from roughly 18" to 36" and are as straight as an arrow. Sizes range from 3m to 6m. From a general inspection they vary in grade and some contain shakes. Any advice welcome

20210520_101408.jpg

All depends on the grade.  You say they are planking quality but also contain shakes.  Shakes can mean an otherwise good log is just firewood.  Can you be more specific?

The photo shows a couple of decent looking logs possibly, though one looks knotty and another a bit too small diameter.  If the quality is mixed, and given this is the wrong time of year for felling Oak for milling I would say £150 per ton delivered is a fair price.  My last batch was £130 per ton delivered, and was pretty mixed.

If on the other hand they are mainly top quality logs, then yes that is too cheap.  What you need to look for are shakes, rotten knots, too many knots.

16 minutes ago, dancoward86 said:

20210520_101408.jpg

The wider ones will be the best for milling but smaller ones firewood grade i would say. Price offered seems reasonable 

4 minutes ago, dancoward86 said:

Thanks for the feedback. My intentions were to sell the first few loads roadside until I've made enough to buy myself a sawmill. I've got an alaskan on the way so was gonna mill some beams and mantles too

What area are you dan

2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

All depends on the grade.  You say they are planking quality but also contain shakes.  Shakes can mean an otherwise good log is just firewood.  Can you be more specific?

The photo shows a couple of decent looking logs possibly, though one looks knotty and another a bit too small diameter.  If the quality is mixed, and given this is the wrong time of year for felling Oak for milling I would say £150 per ton delivered is a fair price.  My last batch was £130 per ton delivered, and was pretty mixed.

If on the other hand they are mainly top quality logs, then yes that is too cheap.  What you need to look for are shakes, rotten knots, too many knots.

By planking quality I mean straight as an arrow. Some of the lengths have minor shakes, some are 4-5m with no knots or shakes. Quite a mixed bunch really so was just after a round about price. I totally understand that the buyer has a lot of work to do so was just seeing if £150/ t was a reasonable offer

21 hours ago, dancoward86 said:

By planking quality I mean straight as an arrow. Some of the lengths have minor shakes, some are 4-5m with no knots or shakes. Quite a mixed bunch really so was just after a round about price. I totally understand that the buyer has a lot of work to do so was just seeing if £150/ t was a reasonable offer

It looks to me from the pics and video as if they are decent quality, but a bit small.  Are they about a foot diameter mainly?

To get the top price I would say you need larger diameter stems.  £150 per ton delivered seems a fair price, based on the limited information I have.