Splice help

Treerover

Years ago at the ISA conference in Birmingham, an American chap who was helping Arbormasters Rip and Ken, sat with a few of us in the bar and showed us how to splice 16 strand lanyards by taking out all of the core and re-inserting the outer back into the entire length (so basically a 4m piece of rope becomes your 2 m lanyard )

He used a wire coat hanger and it worked very well.

I tried to do it some 20 odd years on yesterday but I’ll be buggered if I could get it to work!!

Has anyone got any advice/links to videos etc on how to perform this splice please?

Also fids that may work for this application instead of the coat hanger !!

I’m not confident enough to do just an end splice so this method suits my monkey mitted lack of skill 🥸

• Like 1

Mark the eye in the middle of the rope. 8 or 9 cm works nicely with no core. From the core end, count down 5 pairs of strands and remove a pair, count down 5 more pairs then remove another pair. Do this so you have removed 10 individual pairs in total. Cut them off near the point they exit.

Then feed your fid about half way down the rope and exit in between strands. Tuck the last 5cm in the find and pull it through the inside of the rope. 

Job done.

Where are you based? I can make you one and send it out if you have trouble

• Like 2

Mark the eye in the middle of the rope. 8 or 9 cm works nicely with no core. From the core end, count down 5 pairs of strands and remove a pair, count down 5 more pairs then remove another pair. Do this so you have removed 10 individual pairs in total. Cut them off near the point they exit.
Then feed your fid about half way down the rope and exit in between strands. Tuck the last 5cm in the find and pull it through the inside of the rope. 

Job done.

Where are you based? I can make you one and send it out if you have trouble

I think I’m following you Tommy.
What fid do you use (I’m guessing not the coat hanger 🤣?)

I’d quite like to nail this myself but if I fail I might take you up on your kind offer . Very generous of you my friend [emoji1307]
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Treerover said:

I think I’m following you Tommy.
What fid do you use (I’m guessing not the coat hanger 🤣?)

I’d quite like to nail this myself but if I fail I might take you up on your kind offer . Very generous of you my friend emoji1307.png

I use a wire find from Treeworker. It's lasted years