Stock fencing cost

Turn Moss

7 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Why not look into clippex fencing system. Perhaps not the nicest to look at but Easy to install by hand and combined with the use of gripples a relative amateur should be able to get a decent enough fence up.

Would a clipex type fence not only really save u steepling the fence to the posts?

U still need to put strainers in to hold and u could strain a normal net with gripples ifu wanted.

Never used clippex but do u not need the posts to be nice and plumb to clip the net on?

Really the strainers and possibly the stays also are the key no matter wot style of fence u put up.

Dunno if an old fahioned line wire fence tensioned with rads/butterflies would be any easier for an amateur?

Some big hill fences still prefer plain wire to net, and use 4 or 5mm mild as last longer in the harsh weather. Bloody pain to work with thou

• Like 1

Was jut thinking plain line wire migh be n easier way to go if many dips or gullies on fence line.

Stock net doe not really like bending vertically, u always end up with a slack bit at either top or bottom. 

Even if a gentle hollow or rise takes a bit of experience knowing how tight to pull it to allow it flip up or pull down.

Proper way would be2 strainer and pulling it separately but the ends wouldnae to be tied off takes time.

Id probably would think a line wire fence be easier for a novice, weld up a wire spinner which doesn't nee to be anything fancy 

Definitely handles any rises or dips easier also hire handy below trees that are likely to either blow per or shed lambs, on Ake's a few new steeples to fix, oven knackers a net fence

On 10/06/2021 at 10:22, Turn Moss said:

any suggestions as to alternative ways of keeping dogs in and undesirables out.....dry hedging? living hedging?

I'm a bit curious about the undesirables, people will not stop at a fence, deer will jump it and if you're fencing out stock then shouldn't the farmer do that?

With regard to your dogs, whilst you're wondering round do they need to be fenced in or can you control them? Whilst you're working would they cope with being left in a fenced off area?

To create privacy cheaply I've had good success with cutting goat willow cuttings, cut from the woodland. Planted thickly and then brash piled around them gives them protection to get established.

I bought the woodland as a refuge for wildlife, we've had trouble with the hunt coming through and the hounds chasing pet cats through gardens. I know I can't stop the hounds, but I can make it obvious where my boundary is. I have 2 dogs that lose their tiny minds in the woods. They're not often there with me but I don't trust them not to go after sheep. 

• Like 1

I had a bit of bother with the local hunt. Some of the people who followed it and the locals who allowed them access were far from helpful. I eventually tracked down the person who runs it and managed to sort out the problems.

As for the dogs, I have a headstrong Lab and a brash hedge would stop her. It'll also stop most people but not a pack of hounds or deer. I just put stakes cut from the woodland (such as goat willow which tends to root) in a double row and then stacked gorse and brash on top. Can be done fairly neatly and is an obvious boundary. It also creates a good place for wildlife in its own right.

• Like 1

I'm imagining the price is for hand ball?

I often get a bell from the local company when he has a horrible ugly hill fence to do.

Last 1 was 6k meter, might have got the tracked chappers to 500m or so the rest all hand dug and packed strainers ( my job, only 1 daft enough to do it without mumping) and all stabs melled in.
We were lucky he hired a tracked Argo as well as his own Argo and Haag Lund we managed to get most of the materials fairly close to fence line.

Not every fencing outfit has the experience or tackle to handle big rough hill jobs.
Any 1 should be able to put up a half decent fence on softflat ground.
No idea wot he charges but he gets a few jobs like that, some are a lot worse.
1 long deer fence he built a sledge and had to lower all materials down from the top of the hill ( hundreds of meters to fence line) and that section was almost 1km.
Glad I wasnae there for that.

Never seen job so not going to comment on price, but big difference doing a flat field laying materials straight out of the iffor trailer to wot this may be all materials loaded on quad and trailer, so multiple runs every day just to keep u in materials for that day, if a long run to pick up could almost be a man's full time job for a few days.

If fencing is like up here even rubbish fencers are busy, so mibbee picking and choosing there jobs..

But access and ground conditions would have to be very bad to take 2 fencers 2 weeks for 400m

About 30 years ago we did some deer fencing a part of which was over almost a mile of highland bedrock. We used two stroke road drills and molten sulphur to bed in each metal post into the rock. That, after molten lead erupted over my boss’s deerstalker from a hole containing some moisture, and sulphur was deemed the safer option. The local chemists were suspicious of our motives for wanting to buy their annual stock of sulphur powder as they suspected us of bomb making.
Now that job would’ve been a costly one.

Would a clipex type fence not only really save u steepling the fence to the posts?
U still need to put strainers in to hold and u could strain a normal net with gripples ifu wanted.
Never used clippex but do u not need the posts to be nice and plumb to clip the net on?

Really the strainers and possibly the stays also are the key no matter wot style of fence u put up.
Dunno if an old fahioned line wire fence tensioned with rads/butterflies would be any easier for an amateur?
Some big hill fences still prefer plain wire to net, and use 4 or 5mm mild as last longer in the harsh weather. Bloody pain to work with thou

[emoji1303] plus if you tied the NZ trick of lengthening the post span and using hanging post droppers to make it trickier for sheep to step through you’d save on materials, Rylock and time.

Just to give you an idea of time scale, two of us put 100m of this up today all metal posts 40mmx40mmx4mm x1500mm inter strainers 50mmx50mmx5mm x 1800mm 2 line wire with c8/80/15 stock net. 

Just to keep dogs out of garden as footpath along bottom of property had to walk everything in good 100m walk 

Edited by woody paul