husqvarna 555rxt brushcutter

Jamie Jones

Looking at getting a Husqvarna 555rxt brushcutter as it is their biggest and most powerful brushcutter.
I normally by Stihl kit and have Stihl FS460’s but need another brushcutter. As I don’t own any Husky kit I was wondering if people recommend the husqvarna 555rxt brushcutter? All comments good or bad welcome.
The reason for looking at the husqvarna 555rxt brushcutter is because it is a bigger cc than my Stihl fs460 and the bigger offerings in the Stihl range, the fs560 only has the same cut diameter as the fs460. Where as the 555rxt has a bigger cut diameter.

I run 2 of them one is 2 years old the other a month old. Really good brush cutters the 2 year old one had a gearbox straight away upon using it. But husky fixed that very quickly.

They are really good on fuel as well will do an extra 20 mins compared to a 535rxt which is surprising as the same size fuel tank.

I use mine more as a strimmer than a brush cutter but the balance xt harness is the best harness out there and will spread the weight of the machine lovely. Also my harness is not about 6 years old and no signs of giving up.

Only negative thing is the handle bar mount is weak and if dropped or knocked hard will snap the mount. I keep these as spares as
I do at least 1 a year. Could be me or just a weak part in the system.

I have several brush cutters/ clearing saws, Stihl and Husqvarna. The 555rxt is definitely the best machine that I have used. I have had it since it was launched and it has never dropped a beat.
I purchased a 555fxt (short shaft, heated handle, thumb throttle control version) clearing saw from Sweden off the back of the performance and reliability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, butters said:

I run 2 of them one is 2 years old the other a month old. Really good brush cutters the 2 year old one had a gearbox straight away upon using it. But husky fixed that very quickly.

They are really good on fuel as well will do an extra 20 mins compared to a 535rxt which is surprising as the same size fuel tank.

I use mine more as a strimmer than a brush cutter but the balance xt harness is the best harness out there and will spread the weight of the machine lovely. Also my harness is not about 6 years old and no signs of giving up.

Only negative thing is the handle bar mount is weak and if dropped or knocked hard will snap the mount. I keep these as spares as
I do at least 1 a year. Could be me or just a weak part in the system.

Hi Mate
Thanks for the reply and the feed back. Most helpful..
I have a couple of questions...
1) On the 545rxt, what is the maximum diameter  of the strimmer line when it is fully out and trimmed on the guard blade (or the radius from the center of the head to the blade on the guard/shield)?
2) As for the handle bar mount that has broken and you keep spares of. Any chance to can post a picture of the item so I can ensure that I have one as a spare? Also what is involved in replacing it and how much does it cost?

35 minutes ago, Jamie Jones said:

Hi Mate
Thanks for the reply and the feed back. Most helpful..
I have a couple of questions...
1) On the 545rxt, what is the maximum diameter  of the strimmer line when it is fully out and trimmed on the guard blade (or the radius from the center of the head to the blade on the guard/shield)?
2) As for the handle bar mount that has broken and you keep spares of. Any chance to can post a picture of the item so I can ensure that I have one as a spare? Also what is involved in replacing it and how much does it cost?

I don't use the guard so I can have this sorta length line . ( 4.0 mm square Diamond edge from desert extrusions )  both sides about 9" long . IMG_20170619_180519.thumb.jpg.57dda9c4781eede7c7dcc1ea9a2a1356.jpg

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems excessive  you were using the proper full synth oil mix?

Warranties?

Offtopic....

Local Wildlife trust had some  contractors spending days strimming reeds on a marsh and raking them up into builders bags with hay rakes. Thought it was abit crazy  as looked a large open flat area covering several acres  where some bigger machines could of done it all in a few hrs?....

Think strimmers are only really ideal as edging awarkard bits as when used to clear bigger  open areas takes ages...

NRW has a fleet of  specialized kit sitting on different marsh only a few miles away. Softtrak   think they were.

45 minutes ago, Stere said:

Local Wildlife trust had some  contractors spending days strimming reeds on a marsh and raking them up into builders bags with hay rakes. Thought it was abit crazy  as looked a large open flat area covering several acres  where some bigger machines could of done it all in a few hrs?....

I associate strimming with a flailing nylon cord so I can see no reason to use other than steel cutting blades in an open area like this, especially as the plastic debris will end up in the watercourse.

Is this reed cutting to emulate previous harvesting practice where the produce would have been used for thatching?

This is again one of the failings of conservation groups where the niche they wish to conserve resulted from old harvesting practices, now defunct,  so they don't know what to do with the arisings. I see the same in heathland and coppice  maintenance.