husqvarna 555rxt brushcutter

Jamie Jones

I associate strimming with a flailing nylon cord so I can see no reason to use other than steel cutting blades in an open area like this, especially as the plastic debris will end up in the watercourse.

They probably had a blade can't remember.

Is this reed cutting to emulate previous harvesting practice where the produce would have been used for thatching?

Yeah  thats was the idea

Wildlife trust stuff cut  by volunteers supposedly  has to be removed from site or burnt on a tin sheet and ash removed.

They  also put down a plastic board walk  don't think thats a good idea....

Screwing cutting it etc all creates alot of plasctic bits

NRW projects

NATURALRESOURCES.WALES

The Anglesey and Llŷn Fens LIFE Project makes it easy to see how natural resources management can be relatively simple...

22 minutes ago, Stere said:

Wildlife trust stuff cut  by volunteers supposedly  has to be removed from site or burnt on a tin sheet and ash removed.

Same as on heathland here until they employed a manager and he just burned and left the ash and seems to be beyond reproach. This all is similar to the recent post about woodland flowers not wanting to compete when fertility good.

We had intended to try my under a cover burner on reed beds because apparently these were burned (swaled?) after the reeds were harvested to encourage fresh growth the following year but natural england go taken over and funding stopped.

22 minutes ago, Stere said:

They  also put down a plastic board walk  don't think thats a good idea....

Screwing cutting it etc all creates alot of plasctic bits

Yes exactly, also think of all the plastic that comes from sanding fibreglass resins, cut pvc cables in maneges etc.. Steel rusts away and aluminium corrodes to it's oxide evetunally.

The thing is wood is natural and often lasts 20 years for a boardwalk and then recycles itself but they have to keep finding re uses for all those platic milk bottles. This is why I would prefer to see them incinerated for power or  pyrolysed for liquid fuels.

Can anyone advise what the 555rxt is like with the strimming head running 3or4mm chord for dealing with long grass?

It has been suggested to me that for someone who is 6ft tall it might have too short a shaft? because it is for clearing and running a blade at a higher height....

Also, How do the chord heads fair? As it has been suggested that they might suffer due to the amount of power the machine has...

51 minutes ago, Jamie Jones said:

Can anyone advise what the 555rxt is like with the strimming head running 3or4mm chord for dealing with long grass?

It has been suggested to me that for someone who is 6ft tall it might have too short a shaft? because it is for clearing and running a blade at a higher height....

Also, How do the chord heads fair? As it has been suggested that they might suffer due to the amount of power the machine has...

The 555rxt has the full length shaft, I am 6’2” and it’s spot on for me. It runs 3 or 4 mm chord very well.

The 555fxt is the shorter version designed for clearing saw blade.

1 hour ago, 5thelement said:

The 555rxt has the full length shaft, I am 6’2” and it’s spot on for me. It runs 3 or 4 mm chord very well.

The 555fxt is the shorter version designed for clearing saw blade.

Thanks for the the response👍

Think having more power will equal  more speed on both grass and bramble

Does any other brushcutter cut this rapid?

3.3kw

I only use a stihl 360 regulary with  a mulching blade and its  slow in comparison to above and the 3 point mulch blade is very poor on grass compared to strimmer line. Used the bigger stihl a while back and while faster than the 360  still slow compared to the "brutale"

Do people sharpen mulching blades often and does it make a big impact?

39 minutes ago, Stere said:

Does any other brushcutter cut this rapid?

Dunno but a three point blade seems to cut better than nylon cord.

3.3kw

I only use a stihl 360 regulary with  a mulching blade and its  slow in comparison to above and the 3 point mulch blade is very poor on grass compared to strimmer line. Used the bigger stihl a while back and while faster than the 360  still slow compared to the "brutale"

But the mulching blade cuts the stuff multiple times, it's bound to be slower. I mostly use the mulching blade on my very old FS360 but technically it is only supposed to be used on the bigger 400 and 460.

Do people sharpen mulching blades often and does it make a big impact?

Yes it makes a lot of difference when cutting mixtures with woody stuff and brambles. I always use it with the cup under the blade, on my last job the chaps never did, never sharpened and wore out the blades quite quickly.

Apart from the Stihl kombi battery strimmer I have not used a backpack one. I do have a stihl fr 460 backpack, which was bought for steep hillside work, in for repair but I have not got far with it. Battery dead and sheared flywheel key seem to be the problems but the battery pack at over £200 isn't worth the risk.

BTW that one in the video seems to use the same engine as my portable winch.

Edited by openspaceman
spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Good day guys, my first post here.

I've just ordered a 555fx clearing saw from Sweden, I'm hoping to use it both with saw blades and mulching blades.  Would anyone know which parts I would need to convert it for use with mulching blades?  Is it just a guard?  Or an entire gear head and guard that I'll need?  If anyone knows the part numbers and where to order from in ireland or the uk, that would be amazing.

2 hours ago, Dmnc said:

Good day guys, my first post here.

I've just ordered a 555fx clearing saw from Sweden, I'm hoping to use it both with saw blades and mulching blades.  Would anyone know which parts I would need to convert it for use with mulching blades?  Is it just a guard?  Or an entire gear head and guard that I'll need?  If anyone knows the part numbers and where to order from in ireland or the uk, that would be amazing.

The guards are quite different, my recent experience is with Stihl but the types look much the same. The saw guard is smaller and mounts tight tp the sawblade, it only covers the rear quadrant and in use you can use it to slowly feed the blade into a thick stem. The mulcher guard sits back from the gearbox and if like the Sihl mounts directly on the stem

One thing that used to annoy me with the lads is that they would use the mulcher blade bare and without the cup underneath, Stihl calls it a rider plate. Without this it is too easy to dig the mulcher in the ground and this results in increase wear, more frequent sharpening and increases the risk of flying stones

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

Rider Plate for Stihl FS220, FS220K Brushcutters Genuine Stihl Part OEM Part No. 4119 713 3100 Suitable for the following...