Makita 7900 build quality?

Meds

6 hours ago, gary112 said:

Admittedley not running bars that long but generally they do oil very well

I've just ordered a new 28" bar so have the brand new stock Makita 18" bar and chain going spare if you want it? The chain is Dolmar stamped and full chisel but no idea if any good!

Edit - I think chain is Oregon!

Edited by Meds

One I owned back in 2005 or so Makita 7901.

Woods ported with fingers in rear of cylinder by the late Dave Neiger RIP.  Big Dave

Back then they oiled 32" fine. I heard later on they started getting stingy oiling.

m79016401.JPG

Edited by Cut4fun
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/06/2021 at 10:20, Meds said:

Does anybody know where I could get some new bumper spikes for this? The box picture is different to what’s fitted.

4EA5E260-55C0-4789-993A-59BF6B27837E.jpeg

AAEF1F3A-CBBA-462E-B227-F3E431B28611.jpeg

Hi Meds

I hope that I can answer some or all of the questions you rise.

First thing you need to think about is what you are paying for the Makita / Dolmar Chainsaws compared to the cost of a Stihl Chainsaw.

You get 2x Dolmar  or Makita 6100 chainsaws for the cost of a single quality Stihl Chainsaw.. This is the same for the Dolmar or Makita 7910 compared to a Stihl 80cc saw.

Then look at what you are comparing. The 7910 is now a fairly old saw compared to the Stihl equivalent. So you wouldn’t get captive nuts on the Stihl chainsaw that was out at that time.

If you are concerned that you might loose your nuts😖, Keep a couple of spare nuts in your back up kit, as they are very cheap to purchase. (I always carry a back you tool box with spare chains, Air filters, spark-plugs, pull-chord and bars for a variety of different chainsaws that I own) 

In relation to the build quality of the Dolmar or Makita chainsaws…. I can say that I have 2x Dolmar PS6100 Chainsaws and 1x Dolmar PS7910 chainsaw. They have all been spot on, never missed a beat, nothing has ever broken or let me down and I use my chainsaws in my business. I have been very pleased with them, and if the truth be known. The Dolmars have been more reliable than my Stihl MS211 and MS251 chainsaws.

The only down side I see with my business using Dolmar Chainsaws is that if you get an issue for what ever reason. Then it will take longer to get spares for it than it would for a Stihl chainsaw… But I knew that when I purchased them. Which is why I have two PS6100 chainsaws. With them being so cheap at the time, it was rude not to pick up a second unit.

091C5B79-F96C-4295-B640-5D0A485689C9.jpeg

CDBBD302-4F3B-4468-80F1-D0BEE076F6BF.jpeg

1BF6221D-F896-44EB-98AA-485B7462FC8A.jpeg

EE7DE747-5A82-4FED-B1B6-210DEEA78396.jpeg

Edited by Jamie Jones
Adding a picture
  • Like 4