Pheasant and Partridge Chick Shortage

Billhook

To follow on from my mammal shortage thread, just gone down the main farm track over a mile and a half and passed three pairs of Partridge ( Frenchmen) as usual running along just in front of the car which is their way of guiding you away from their young, but there have been no young anywhere, same with pheasants.  I suppose it is not surprising with all the Buzzards, Sparrow Hawks, Red Kites, Kestrels, Carrions, Jackdaws, Jays, Magpies around.  The lack of mammals should have helped them a bit.

Have any of you seen Pheasant and Partridge young?

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

To follow on from my mammal shortage thread, just gone down the main farm track over a mile and a half and passed three pairs of Partridge ( Frenchmen) as usual running along just in front of the car which is their way of guiding you away from their young, but there have been no young anywhere, same with pheasants.  I suppose it is not surprising with all the Buzzards, Sparrow Hawks, Red Kites, Kestrels, Carrions, Jackdaws, Jays, Magpies around.  The lack of mammals should have helped them a bit.

Interesting point, now you mention it we have a lot of Pheasants left and not seen any young this year so far and we all so have about 800 ducks left which i have seen some sitting on eggs in various places but i have not seen any young ducks either even tho most have hatched, i am sure there will be some about somewhere, but last night i was watching a field that has just been covered in slurry and Rooks, Crows and Jack daws there was several hundred of them and they wont help matters at all,

2 minutes ago, woody paul said:

French partridge sitting on eggs at the back of mine in Old cattle yard, only just started and that's 2_3 weeks later then last year maybe because its been cold. 

I agree Paul, lots of things are very delayed this year due to the extended cold weather in February I think. Ash has only leafed out here in the last week, no ducklings yet (although there are cygnets) and no frogspawn. I think most things have just delayed. The unfortunate ones will be where they started early as this year's generation probably got wiped out by the weather.

Alec

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billhook said:

I’ve seen a few clutches of Pheasants on our local shoot what I do a bit of keepering on. I shoot all the the vermin tho and trap the magpies and keep the local fox population down. We have a very good hare population on and a steady number of English partridge. Plenty of the Frenchman tho. I was also looking at some dikes the other day what I’m just waiting for birds to finish nesting to start clearing to feed for this season. Seen 2 or 3 clutches of mallards. I was out doing my rounds at the weekend and I found 3 lapwing nests all with chicks 🐥 they was really nice to see being a rarity. Cheers 🍻👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick goulding said:

I’ve seen a few clutches of Pheasants on our local shoot what I do a bit of keepering on. I shoot all the the vermin tho and trap the magpies and keep the local fox population down. We have a very good hare population on and a steady number of English partridge. Plenty of the Frenchman tho. I was also looking at some dikes the other day what I’m just waiting for birds to finish nesting to start clearing to feed for this season. Seen 2 or 3 clutches of mallards. I was out doing my rounds at the weekend and I found 3 lapwing nests all with chicks 🐥 they was really nice to see being a rarity. Cheers 🍻👍

Good to hear about the plover, not seen one here in Lincolnshire for years

Buzzards were the final nail in the coffin I think

Are you seeing a lot of foxes, badgers stoats etc.

And how is your rabbit population?

I see that you are not that far away in Nottinghamshire 

I have seen a few badgers 🦡 about on the land. There is always plenty of foxes 🦊  there is one or 2 roe deer 🦌  knocking about to. We never get any muntjac or fallow tho. As for rabbits 🐇 I have got some other land I shoot over and rabbits are plentiful they have come back with a vengeance been a good year I think. need the population reducing I’ve had my orders from the farmer lol they grow a lot of greens. And as for stoats I sore 2 chasing some young rabbits down the farm lane a few months ago. But we have had a lot of problems with mink. 

3 hours ago, Patrick goulding said:

I love the English .  Those young partridge can fly almost immediately . I used to be a keeper on one of the farms near me and have seen tiny English getting up and flying along in front of me as I drive ( slowly ) along the track . The chicks are not as big as a sparrow but they got flight ok >

• Like 1