Milling Table tops

Billhook

I have the lucas planer and featherboard attatchment. Good pieces of kit. Only plane when fully seasoned generally.
Most movement will occur in the final part of seasoning.
Cutting feather board takes a while to get your head around and while to work out how to get both boards the same thickness. As each alternate board is cut the opposite way up. I can tell you the adjustments on mine I use next time in near the mill as its written in the tool box but yours may be different.

20 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

I have the lucas planer and featherboard attatchment. Good pieces of kit. Only plane when fully seasoned generally.
Most movement will occur in the final part of seasoning.
Cutting feather board takes a while to get your head around and while to work out how to get both boards the same thickness. As each alternate board is cut the opposite way up. I can tell you the adjustments on mine I use next time in near the mill as its written in the tool box but yours may be different.

Sycamore will slightly discolour but also spalt if left on the ground. I leave sycamore for 2 years then slab the lot. Not great for building.

Elm can be used for construction but to be honest most of those logs have too many big knots in to be any good for any building.

Last picture is firewood, next one up not construction worthy. Next one up looks to have shake and ring shake. Cut into big beams around the faults.

Next one up good construction timber.

Next one up slab the lot. You can resaw into 4x2 etc once seasoned around faults. 1

Next 3 slabs all the way.

Top one I think will give you good construction timber.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all that good advice James and I would appreciate the figures you have for the lap board adjustment settings.

On 05/06/2021 at 21:09, Billhook said:

That is one thing I have not done which I should have.  What do you use to seal the ends

What do you think about the Sycamore.  I suspect it needs dealing with sooner rather then later.

I seal my logs with old candle wax works great.

4 hours ago, astra25 said:

I seal my logs with old candle wax works great.

Sounds a bit messy, all that melting firstly to put it in a tin then heated again to use it??  I do not think I have enough candles kicking about and if I bought new ones it may come to more than an approved product?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Sounds a bit messy, all that melting firstly to put it in a tin then heated again to use it??  I do not think I have enough candles kicking about and if I bought new ones it may come to more than an approved product?

No it's not messy my gf mum is obsessed with candles so I get all her leftovers just stick them in a old pan warm it up and paint it straight on then just blowtorch the log which helps sock the wax in a bit more, got free gas to from plumber mate so free good method.

6 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

I disagree. I often use wax for sealing small logs and burrs where I completely cover the burr in wax, then forget about it for a few years

I use paraffin wax though, not old candles

If it works for you then stick to it