Not for the Squeamish!

Billhook

3 hours ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

this morning on the Tees

90C16015-C1CE-497B-9E55-DB70BE8A6972.jpeg

Where abouts on the Tees?  Spent many days as a kid at Broken Scar collecting conkers,  and walking the dog.  Did a lot of fishing with my old man at various stretches on the Tees and the Wear.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

Well just about exactly there, 500m upstream at coniscliffe. Beautiful stretch for a safe swim

Nice.  Got many memories of that area. I lived in Darlo till I was 11.  Firstly over Near Dodmire school and the old Cleveland Bridge, Neasham road area.  Then we moved to Mowden, but the other side.  My uncle still lives near the model T.  I would have gone to Hummersnot school had we not moved away.  

Did you grow up in that area?

I've heard that hog weed can cause this but I didn't realise nettles and cow parsley did it too!

An antidote to nettle sting is to crush the nettle and use the juice on the sting, it has worked for me. 

Dunno if crushing a hog or cow has the same affect though.

Definitely do not try that home remedy regarding the G Hogweed juice.

I was a fishing ghillie for a couple of decades and Luckily had both sides of the river as well as finishing that job at the uppermost source of the weed problem so was able to almost eradicate the upper stretches of GHW.

I had eight miles of paths and banks to strim, so an early spring job was to carefully spot spray the emerging plant (in April) so I didn’t inadvertently strim them later on.

Some local kids got in a hell of a state one year and I believe one had to get some skin graft repairs to his face over handling that stuff.

• Like 3

do  a few large Strimmer jobs with very similar problems.all the juicy stuff ruins even the good Strimmer clothing gear and soon turns green .wearing a rain jacket and gloves helps a lot to keep it off the skin .another common problem was having to often wash the face visor off to be able to actually see properly.i usually more prone to conifer rash ,

aloe vera usually helps