Not for the Squeamish!

Billhook

6 hours ago, dumper said:

Hogweed and nettle sap will give you a nasty rash

Yes, I suspect both but I did not know Cow Parsley could do it.  Very hot day would not have helped as I presume the skin pores are more open.  Seems to be going down but I notice that people are standing well away from me outside thinking that I must have some kind of pox!

6 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

This a a tree forum mate.   I think you are confusing it with your fetish site.  90% of your posts have a sexual connotation.  

Do you realise it is nearly all blokes here?  If that’s your bag then no worries.

Any chance you could post something relevant for a change?

Asking for a few friends!

Well said that man👍Just been reading another thread about a bogged in MEWP and he’s done the same all the way through that😫. Haven’t seen him contribute anything of any relevance, just trying to be funny and taking the P. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

Well said that man👍Just been reading another thread about a bogged in MEWP and he’s done the same all the way through that😫. Haven’t seen him contribute anything of any relevance, just trying to be funny and taking the P. 

Get stuffed you and a part timer at best on here.You preach me none sir 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Sad 1

Photodermatitis is the medical term for this. It's the sunlight activating the sap to cause an allergic reaction. It can be really bad, a neighbour of mine got it from parsnip foliage and it affected him seriously for at least 2 years. Said it ruined his life. Ended up having sunbed treatments of increasing length to get him back to some sort of normality. If I was you I would be extra careful to cover up when strimming any umbellifers from now on as reactions can get increasingly worse. (Not to scaremonger, but just be aware.)

• Like 2

I've heard that hog weed can cause this but I didn't realise nettles and cow parsley did it too!

An antidote to nettle sting is to crush the nettle and use the juice on the sting, it has worked for me. 

Dunno if crushing a hog or cow has the same affect though.

• Haha 1

I knew about Hogweed/giant hogweed and Cow Parsley, but Parsnips!

Having some 40 years ago strimmed a roadside verge thck with CP while  wearing nowt but shorts and footwear!

Not bad, but certainly educational.

Fascinating that Sunlight plays a part in the process.

I imagine that the projectile nature of the particles helps to break the skin, even if only on a microscopic level, thereby exacerbating the reaction.

Edited by difflock

7 hours ago, tarantula said:

Photodermatitis is the medical term for this. It's the sunlight activating the sap to cause an allergic reaction. It can be really bad, a neighbour of mine got it from parsnip foliage and it affected him seriously for at least 2 years. Said it ruined his life. Ended up having sunbed treatments of increasing length to get him back to some sort of normality. If I was you I would be extra careful to cover up when strimming any umbellifers from now on as reactions can get increasingly worse. (Not to scaremonger, but just be aware.)

Not  a scaremonger!  Why am I lying here shivering with fright!  But thank you for that  knowledge

Fairly sure there was none of the Giant Hogweed, but maybe there were some small plants growing unseen.  I see in this Irish article it is  called "The Strimmer's Disease"

https://invasivespeciesireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/giant_hogweed-DARD-updated.pdf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billhook said:

Not  a scaremonger!  Why am I lying here shivering with fright!  But thank you for that  knowledge

Fairly sure there was none of the Giant Hogweed, but maybe there were some small plants growing unseen.  I see in this Irish article it is  called "The Strimmer's Disease"

https://invasivespeciesireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/giant_hogweed-DARD-updated.pdf

If it were Giant Hogweed you would have large blister however Lesser Hogweed and a range of other plants can cause Strimmer Rash particularly on sunny days. I've been using a Stihl perspex face shield now for some years (don’t find a visor provides enough protection), wear an overall, rinse face with water after strimming and also use a blade rather that strimmer when cutting vegetation other than just grass if practicable to do so or sometimes take down some individual plants with a long handed hook. Got plastered a few years back which has left a few marks/dry areas on face which when sunny still itch a bit although factor 50 sun block seems to help.

Edited by Vedhoggar