New member and first question

9 hours ago, AHPP said:

It definitely isn’t.

I would say it's far more complicated than just using a two rope system over a branch/crotch for a first time climber. If you've never done it before you can get up and move around a tree with a prusik and a rope. Why learn about zigzags, chicanes, foot ascenders, knee ascenders and adding in redirects, base tie, tip tie etc when you can just hip thrust up and get used to it. Don't get me wrong, 75-80% of my climbing is srt but If you can make srt simpler than hip thrusting with a prusik for a first time climber I'm all ears? 

15 hours ago, dsmith1974 said:

Thank you for the responses, they’re all very much appreciated.

I recently got up (and down) to a tie in point, in an Oak tree in the garden, with an ID-S.

Looking forward to trying out zig-zags/chicanes and simple prussik for comparison.

Definitely buy a prusik and have a play with doubling the rope up. Also buy a second rope (I know it's expensive) and buy a positional strop if you don't own one (10m of rope, a pulley and a eye to eye) and get used to two rope climbing as you will need to do it if you do cs38 anyway and it's a back up for a first time climber. Have you thought about doing a course? 

Thanks! CS38 looks interesting, I’ll take a look at the syllabus and see if I can work towards it part time (as I have a full time desk job).

I’m about half way up the Oak tree now by re-throwing a throwbag, when I’m up the tree and setting up a new line on the ID.

Next step is to switch to ALT and take the climb rope with me, but I’m waiting for a proper saddle with D-rings as I’ve only got a climbing harness at the moment.

It is a bit old now but a pretty good resource.  

Old school, by that I mean it is an actual book, made with paper and such.  Not a load of web pages or half arse YouTube videos.

Worth buying for the basics IMO.  The basics are just as relevant today as they were 20 years ago.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Buy The Tree Climber's Companion: A Reference And Training Manual For Professional Tree Climbers 2 by...

• Like 3

It is a bit old now but a pretty good resource.  

Old school, by that I mean it is an actual book, made with paper and such.  Not a load of web pages or half arse YouTube videos.

Worth buying for the basics IMO.  The basics are just as relevant today as they were 20 years ago.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK
Buy The Tree Climber's Companion: A Reference And Training Manual For Professional Tree Climbers 2 by...  

Thanks, I already have this, it was the first book I bought. I totally agree. Can’t beat a good book!
  • Like 1