Day rates when things go wrong..

benedmonds

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

I watched one of his shows years ago, the person interviewing him asked, "What was the worst day you had when you were a steeplejoke? He replied, "it was when I'd climbed to the top of the tower and realised I'd forgotten my cigarettes"😂

Hero for a lot of modern day trades eggs and a serious man on the real way life worked the old way

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Fred was a man that loved machinery so would probably love them, but not many reach the heights he did. 

He did indeed. I bet he would still have got his ladders and hammer out though. :)

I can't remember the details but I remember he took his family on holiday only because he had a job booked in the area. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

What I meant Mr Stubs was, if using in an area where bogging down is even a remote possibility, is the MEWP the right tool for the job. 

Granted it may have got bogged in transit to operating zone but was operating zone firm enough?

Don’t know, just surmising, MEWPs have a place and a time but I can’t help but feel they also present a potentially greater possibility of injury / harm when not properly deployed. 

Right place, right job, right operator - undeniably a suitable option but if any of those factors don’t exist the chance of injury / harm is multiplied many fold - we can look to the States for an early indicator of this and as MEWP use is presented as the ‘preferred’ option in UK I anticipate a corresponding rise in associated accidents here - sure as night follows day. 

Not necessarily machine / equipment failure or defect related (assuming it’s late machine and properly serviced) but it will be inappropriate use / operator error / complacency related.  Just my tupenny worth for what it’s worth. 

I think I read somewhere (or maybe I made it up 😃, I like mewps )

that there are more tree work accidents with mewps because so many amateurs hire them for diy tree work.

Sometimes they are  safer and faster sometimes they are not and shouldn’t be there.
A lot of the dead ash crowns we’ve cut lately from mewp,there’s no way I’d climb into them.

9 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

He did indeed. I bet he would still have got his ladders and hammer out though. :)

I can't remember the details but I remember he took his family on holiday only because he had a job booked in the area. 🤣

blackpool

7 minutes ago, s o c said:

I think I read somewhere (or maybe I made it up 😃, I like mewps )

that there are more tree work accidents with mewps because so many amateurs hire them for diy tree work.

Sometimes they are  safer and faster sometimes they are not and shouldn’t be there.
A lot of the dead ash crowns we’ve cut lately from mewp,there’s no way I’d climb into them.

That’s a big part of the ‘fragility’ of the stats that feed into ‘Arb accidents’ which result in half baked cock eyed ‘initiatives’ that impact upon professional practitioners. 

Farmers, amateurs, have a go heroes and chippies - all full of bravado and good ideas but their cock ups result in long term implications for the industry. 

• Like 1

Sorry Ben but your guys fuct up, not the customers fault, you should stand it, the big mistake you made was trying to please a customer just to win the job just because he didn’t want to pay the real cost, day rates are for building sites and even then only if I’m pushed, I tend to steer clear of DR at all costs!

• Like 2

I’m with Ian ... I can’t do day rates any more .... I’d rather loose work than do two - three days worth of work in a day,shag kit up and listen too it’s only 4pm I’ve got another tree ... I have in the past and I’ve saved customers thousands over written quotes but they where jobs a mile from my yard and massive costly mistakes when they where not.
Also I only have one speed working and I can’t stand being idle , a day rate would be great for training guys up , that is where it comes off maybe but no way am I working to one any more, too much experience,time,mistakes and gear invested so all work now makes a profit... a good profit with the right crew.

• Like 9