Day rates when things go wrong..

benedmonds

1 thing that's never been mentioned, wot did ur boys do after the mwep was stuck?

tWas tthere other work they could do?

If they adapted and found stuff to fill the day then I'd say u can charge, atleadt for the men

Not that I've had much experience with mweps off road but the little I've had I could imagine them getting stuck fairly easy, and at 8t ur not going to waste much time trying to self rescue it without some decent hand winches.

So really depends if men got it stuck than asked a day digging an putting brash under wheels

I'll be honest with you.

It all depends on your terms and conditions or if you put a disclaimer on the quote. If no to either of them then it's unlikely he would have to pay you.

For example any stuck machinery on ours if its under a day rate the costs are clearly mentioned that those costs are put onto them for recovery and time on site is still owed. If it's at the end of the day then I normally send the team off home and wait for recovery myself. Sometimes free sometimes I charge. If it's a quoted job then it's on me but I do have tracking mats and we use them all the time.

But you've got to look at it as your a business and I think John summed it up quite nicely though.

• Like 3

Out of interest, how many of you price day rate for domestic customers? I've always seen day rate to be a commercial contract thing as if you tell a customer it's going to be 2 days at £850+vat p/day then that's pretty much a quote and I wouldn't expect to go to a customer and say "it's going to be a third day" and expect a friendly response? 

I'm surprised you couldn't pull the mewp out with a chipper though. I've pulled a bogged 110 land rover towing a tipper trailer full of logs out of the mud with one. 

*Edit* scratch that last bit, just re-read about how big the mewp was 

Edited by Paddy1000111

How long after the mewp got bogged down were you aware of the situation? If it was hours after, why weren't you told earliear? What did you advise the lads on site to do when you did find out about the situation?

As for your original question, I wouldn't dream of asking for payment if lads I employed 'lost' a day through at least one of theirs actions.

It seems you want to charge someone for one of your employees cock up's, surely you know that isn't the way forward?

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

How long after the mewp got bogged down were you aware of the situation? If it was hours after, why weren't you told earliear? What did you advise the lads on site to do when you did find out about the situation?

As for your original question, I wouldn't dream of asking for payment if lads I employed 'lost' a day through at least one of theirs actions.

It seems you want to charge someone for one of your employees cock up's, surely you know that isn't the way forward?

That's how it came across to me eggs. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

You would have got the shite shovel out and dug it out eggs. Spoilt lot these tree guys musch 💪

7 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

You would have got the shite shovel out and dug it out eggs. Spoilt lot these tree guys musch 💪

I don't think eggs is the type to have a shite shovel les, bet he's got an excellent one 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2