Day rates when things go wrong..

benedmonds

I'd ask what's going on Ben.... Esp with that last episode you posted about... Is there any similarity that you can be honest about? (Pushed for the work? Desperate? Client pushing you?)

Charge him for the day that the mewp got stuck? Ohh dear even thinking about it is imo daft..... Did he say you had to use that specific route? If so charge him. If you drove where you want.... Suck it up. 

I'd be wondering how my image and reputation is being seen and percepted at this point

Word travels fast. I wouldn't deal with someone who would charge me for their f up

Edited by swinny
  • Like 1

How the fvvk you get a 4x4 stuck ?? But worth reminding him ADB a significant  ie expensive liability on his land and thems the breaks, musch.  K

( i thought i would quote Les on this as he sounds Big and Clever) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Khriss said:

How the fvvk you get a 4x4 stuck ?? But worth reminding him ADB a significant  ie expensive liability on his land and thems the breaks, musch.  K

( i thought i would quote Les on this as he sounds Big and Clever) 

I AM KHRISS WITH A K 🤣

• Haha 2

Hard to charge for a day where the client can see no progress. Even harder to see 650 gone on top of it. If there was no option but to go where the mewp went and no way a climber could go up there I'd still charge for the day but suck up the recovery cost.

If it was an obvious wet patch, hollow etc and one of your staff just ploughed in and bogged the mewp I'd be having words with them, apologising to the client and repairing the damage.

If it was under direct instruction  from the client, Let him foot the bill but I'd expect to lose them as a client after. 

There isnt really any good outcome from this from a monetary or client relationship point of view. But I guess you're aware of that. 

• Like 1

Unless he didn’t tell the guys about a old covered pond they drove it into then it’s operator error, would you charge the client for the day if you broke down on the way to the job?
Maybe have a chat with your guys about starting to see an issue and stopping instead of carrying on and i assume beaching the machine needing a winch or crane out (£650 is a lot of recovery!)

Day rate work leaves too much open unless you have an excellent relationship with the client (i do day rate for 3 regulars, agreeing a day plan at the start of each day)

Suck it up i think for day 3, i wouldn’t be paying if you tried to charge me for your lads cock up working at my house.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, swinny said:

I'd ask what's going on Ben.... Esp with that last episode you posted about... Is there any similarity that you can be honest about? (Pushed for the work? Desperate? Client pushing you?)

I have been running this company over 17 years, you are going to make a few cock ups.. I am not going to post threads about the jobs that go to plan. I doubt they are going to create much discussion..

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

you have to give that estimate of how many days at some point and that sets the expectation of price which is then difficult to vary. What do you do? Estimate high? Have to justify all the days?

Yours is a useful lesson.
Customers accept your terms and pay for work as completed/agreed. It's contractual and a mutual exchange. Easy. Clients are different. Ben from Looga-Baa-Rooga (you know the urban myth about the Aussie asking for train platform info for Loughborough) had his terms turned on their head by someone who he thought he liked. As many have suggested, amending conditions to compensate would still mean both parties would 've been covered.

33 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

I have been running this company over 17 years, you are going to make a few cock ups.. I am not going to post threads about the jobs that go to plan. I doubt they are going to create much discussion..

Cock ups yes.... On days to do a job etc.... 

This is a **************** up... getting a mewp or piece of equipment stuck to do a day's work and then charging a customer for a full days rate of productive work? When you got bugger all done

Your instance should be a bollocking for site foreman and you suck it up as a business owner...

Come on. Your in denial

Edited by swinny

54 minutes ago, swinny said:

Cock ups yes.... On days to do a job etc.... 

This is a **************** up... getting a mewp or piece of equipment stuck to do a day's work and then charging a customer for a full days rate of productive work? When you got bugger all done

Your instance should be a bollocking for site foreman and you suck it up as a business owner...

Come on. Your in denial

Yup could have turned and now finds his self attracted to men 🙃 Come on. Your in denial