Advice Re Tree Removal

blue55

Question

Good Morning,

I have a large fir/pine(?) tree in my front garden as per the photos below. At a guess it's probably 12-15m tall and for various reasons we have decided to have it removed. My question is if I were to remove a significant proportion of the branches myself would that have much of an impact on the price that a professional would charge for the removal? For clarity I would still need the branches to be removed from the site but I would probably keep some or all of the trunk. Any advice or guidance welcome.

Thank you

20210526_151529_resized.jpg

20210526_151543_resized.jpg

20210526_151551_resized.jpg

20210526_151629_resized.jpg

5 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Leave it as it is, lots of tree surgeons won’t even chip stuff up that the clients have cut themselves.

So true. Fed up of homewoners hiding root balls, stone fence panels etc . Often not worth the risk to machinery

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jose said:

So true. Fed up of homewoners hiding root balls, stone fence panels etc . Often not worth the risk to machinery

Oh yeah!
‘I can assure you there’s nothing in there’

(A cursory inspection reveals some old wire fencing)

’well apart from that it’s just branches’

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Everyone’s indicative price will vary - to a degree. 

All I’d say is, generally, when a site / home owner wants to do some of the work in return for a reduced cost it invariably results in well intentioned but poorly considered actions which actually ADD to the hassle of the job. 

Example - it you cut and pile branches like a wood pigeon nest, it makes chipping MORE troublesome than direct feed into chipper as they come off the tree. 

You have to measure the time, hassle, personal risk of ‘doing it yourself’ against what real cost saving it actually represents. 

Just reading the question (or hearing it on the phone) is often wnough to make me think - I’ll give that one a miss. 

As I said . 👍

23 minutes ago, Stubby said:

As I said . 👍

😂 I hadn’t see your wise counsel Mr Stubby !

it’s one of those voty post things (or I didn’t look at page 1!

I had the dreaded phone call a month or so ago - do you do chipping 😂

I left it ages but he kept calling.  Offered a crazy day rate and said it’ll take as long as it takes. 

I did it but left as much as I’d chipped since it really was a pile of site rubbish pushed into a pile with a digger. 

Was a very decent payday and if I didn’t like the look of it it didn’t go near the chipper. Not much fun though but I guess we have to actually ‘work’ at work sometimes rather than just enjoying swinging around in trees!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

He said he wanted to keep some if not all of the trunk.

Why I neither know nor care, but it does make it cheaper.

Dempsey are you the old man in this joke 🙃🤪

An old man and his wife have gone to bed. After a few minutes he lets off a loud fart and says "one - nil"
His wife turns and says "what was that" and he replies
" a goal, I'm ahead one - nil"
A minute later she lets one rip and says " Goal , one all!"
The old boy farts again " Goal! I'm ahead 2 to 1"
Starting to get the hang of it the wife lets another one go and says " Goal, 2 all!"
The old guy trys to farts again but can't, he doesn't want to be outdone so strains to get another one out and ends up shitting in the bed.
The wife said " What in the world was that?" The old man replies
" Half time, switch sides