Oregon CS1500

Paul in France

Hi

My Makita corded electric has a broken tensioner which must cost pence to make and fit but the factory want £70 to repair it out of warranty and I can't buy the parts.  I've been impressed with it as I've had it for about 8 years but it's not done a lot of work and at that price I may as well buy a new one.  I've looked at other budget corded saws and the Oregon seems to offer what I'm after - £120, 3 year guarantee to do occasional fairly light work close to the house and power supply.  It also claims to be self-sharpening.  I could replace the Makita at about the same price but am a bit p'd off with their repair estimate so I'm thinking of making the switch.  What does anyone think who's used either or both?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

My daughters boyfriend bought the Oregon f cutting up outside his workshop, said it’s great, the chains same as the Powersharp ones, so if you give them 3secs @ full chat as instructed they don’t last long! Had power sharp chain on 200t for a bit was quite good having sharpener on harness when stripping dense ivy wi birds nests in!

On 03/06/2021 at 19:27, peatff said:

Which bit is broken ? Tension slide is available on L&S for pence

It's the adjusting screw mechanism - a threaded bolt with a differential type cog that you can't remove from the housing.  As you say the part must cost pence and Makita have quoted to replace the whole tensioner housing.  Dilemma - pay them £70 to get it back fixed - £20 to get it back unfixed or buy a new replacement for £100-£120 with a 3 year guarantee - or don't bother and use a bow saw 😁 and let the NHS fix me free.

On 03/06/2021 at 20:18, timbernut said:

My daughters boyfriend bought the Oregon f cutting up outside his workshop, said it’s great, the chains same as the Powersharp ones, so if you give them 3secs @ full chat as instructed they don’t last long! Had power sharp chain on 200t for a bit was quite good having sharpener on harness when stripping dense ivy wi birds nests in!