What direction to take the business in

Clutchy

Hoping to get some advice from someone who has progressed their business to the next 'level' as it were. 

Currently we do around 80% domestic and 20% commercial. By commercial I mean the odd small scale site clearance and pruning for building site preparation - typically projects that take around 4-5 days with a 4 man crew (2 vans, skid steer, 6-8 inch chipper) and bring in around 7-10k + VAT. Rarely do we have any jobs/contracts that exceed £10-15K plus VAT. 

The remainder of our commercial work is generally for estate agents, working from an arb survey for block management typically. 

We have sub contracted for large companies with council contracts in London boroughs in the past but struggled to ever consistently make more than 450 + VAT a day for a 2 man team. This isn't something we enjoyed either. 

I really like working from Arb surveys and the site prep work. We are really good on the H&S side of things and we are CHAS accredited (Although its never actually got us any work directly...) paperwork and response time via email is very good too. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to pursue more of this kind of work? Haven't had any success on procurement sites as they always seem to be contracts of £200k plus which of course we would never win, nor would I want one client making up the majority of our yearly turn over.

Happy to take anyone in the know out for dinner to talk if you could ever spare the time? Hard to find any content online specific to our industry (Open to suggestions if there is, even if it costs to join). Willing to drive pretty much anywhere in the UK for the right conversation. 

Many thanks 

• Like 1

I would stay small scale,  I went bigger, busy with lots of contracts but it just meant I had no time for self or family at all. Quoting and meetings all the time

Paid more tax,  wages and expenses.  

At the end of day was earning not really much more. Well enough to make it worth it. 

Now I'm back to a 2,,  3 man team,  lots of domestic, schools, parish council stuff. 

Earn well,  have more time,  less stress. ,,  no 3 vehicles at a yard somewhere. 

Happy days

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, otter said:

I would stay small scale,  I went bigger, busy with lots of contracts but it just meant I had no time for self or family at all. Quoting and meetings all the time

Paid more tax,  wages and expenses.  

At the end of day was earning not really much more. Well enough to make it worth it. 

Now I'm back to a 2,,  3 man team,  lots of domestic, schools, parish council stuff. 

Earn well,  have more time,  less stress. ,,  no 3 vehicles at a yard somewhere. 

Happy days

100% agree 

Not looking to expand as such as I know margins are so crap in this game its not worth the extra stress. 

Just trying to find out how to aquire more commercial work I think. 

6 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

100% agree 

Not looking to expand as such as I know margins are so crap in this game its not worth the extra stress. 

Someone will say ARB ass contractor soon lol 🤣

It's not what you know.its who you know.... And it's nowt to do with how many badges you got at brownies either lol 🤣

Edited by swinny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, swinny said:

Someone will say ARB ass contractor soon lol 🤣

It's not what you know.its who you know.... And it's nowt to do with how many badges you got at brownies either lol 🤣

Couldn't agree more, I'm trying to 'know' more people! I don't think local networking groups are worth much. Well not the ones I've been to. Was a massive circle jerk, the only thing to come out of it were a few domestic jobs. 

40 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

100% agree 

Target your networking to only those that can make a difference. 

Med sized building firms and especially architects. 

Are you doing 5837 surveys?

10 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Are you doing 5837 surveys?

No, wasn't planning on getting qualified for those for quite a few years. 

Ill drop a few intro emails. I can never tell if emailing is a better option to calling as I know i find it so annoying when people solicit me over the phone 

Think yr doing well as you are, seen 3 big companies go down cos they bit off more than they could chew, either bust or lost contracts - if yr happy in yr work put feelers out to couple of development companies, they often have pre works site clearance jobs, but often its a bit of travel. Dinner would be nice  but don't feel pushed  😉 K

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Problem is building firms can be bad payers and go bust..... 

Last building firm wanted me to stick my arse next to a HV line and remove 2 trees. I said needed shut down or not doing it. They were very forceful and wanted to pay up front etc and get it done as had a team sat about for a week. They then said if I wasn't cis registered would deduct 30% at source.... I said well I'm not quoting and your not listening lol 🤣 

Someone else did it 2 months later with a shut down ....

They rang me up recently and I gave them a.dressing down and reminded them of the situation and whoever it was that had me on their system to remove me and not phone me again.

I'm miles smaller than them but obviously my health and safety and awareness is miles better!

I'd say take a look at where you are now.... Even though you want to go further you may be doing greater now than ever .... If so.... Reduce your overheads. Keep up your prices and quality control is the best way :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1