wheeled strimmers.

carlos

we are thinking of getting a wheeled strimmer at work, we have a few places were we strim longish grass and rake it off.

currently we use stihl fs 450 strimmers which seem to have the power to cut and leave a good finish, will a wheeled strimmer do the same??

iam thinking a self drive one would be better but idealy with the option to adjust the speed in case of longer grass, a few of the demo vids ive watched the machine seems to fly along and give a possibly dodgy finish.

the grillo machines look pretty decent.

any thoughts welcome

thanks carl

16 minutes ago, carlos said:

we are thinking of getting a wheeled strimmer at work, we have a few places were we strim longish grass and rake it off.

currently we use stihl fs 450 strimmers which seem to have the power to cut and leave a good finish, will a wheeled strimmer do the same??

iam thinking a self drive one would be better but idealy with the option to adjust the speed in case of longer grass, a few of the demo vids ive watched the machine seems to fly along and give a possibly dodgy finish.

the grillo machines look pretty decent.

any thoughts welcome

thanks carl

Stick with the stihl! The wheeled ones are good for knocking heavy stuff back as they take really thick line however the finish is crap. I help my dad on farm to knock some verges around the sheds down a couple of times a year. Perfect for that as it just gets left where it falls. 
just to add it’s fairly easy to “throw” stuff to the side with a brush cutter as you go making clean up easier as you probably know

Edited by Richard 1234

I have the Grillo CL75 brushcutter. I have to say its a cracking tool, it cuts close to objects, trees etc without the risk of damage. It ain’t cheap but the build quality is second to none[emoji106]

I got an old DS wheeled strimmer for the rough areas at her spot that people cba to run the mower over. As said, works well but leaves a lot of mess compared to an ordinary strimmer which tends to 'mulch' the stuff down....

thanks for all the feed back guys, certinally food for thought, i was a bit concerned about the finish.

i saw one working at a place we do lots of work today, it seemed to hack through it but it was a bit rough, we are there again next week so i may see if i can give it a spin.

commando is that a nylon machine? looks nice alright.

thanks again 

carl

I can't stand using a cord strimmer on rough grass etc. I don't like wasting my precious strength and energy! Much prefer to use a good heavy 300mm three point star blade. Stihl and Oregon ones are good, flimsy lightweight and cheap ones are next to useless. Lose inertia and speed at the slightest touch of anything stronger than clean lawngrass. Stone strikes sound dramatic but actually lose very little metal. - Teaches you to be observant! The blades are easily sharpened and dont spatter you with wet shite unlike cord. They also lay the cuttings in rows better and with less operator effort than cord. Great for cutting around trees too as will only nick the bark in one place with a gentle accidental strike (or a fell to ground level with a full on power stroke !!) whereas the cord will always whip around the full circumference of the tree with the inevitable result.

• Like 4

Some good points in that post!

I usedto use my ancient 2 stroke DS on the rough bit that wfere long then push a mulching mower over to tidy up the hay crop! It could take mega thick cord for real heavy work!

thanks for all the feed back guys, certinally food for thought, i was a bit concerned about the finish.
i saw one working at a place we do lots of work today, it seemed to hack through it but it was a bit rough, we are there again next week so i may see if i can give it a spin.
commando is that a nylon machine? looks nice alright.
thanks again 
carl

It’s a rotary blade brushcutter:

WWW.GRILLOAGRIGARDEN.CO.UK

Thanks to the CL 75’s maneuverability, cutting high grass and other vegetation becomes quick and efficient. Uneven ground, steep slopes and different types of obstacles do not present a