Ash Die Back wood as firewood .

cessna

35 minutes ago, cessna said:

Please can someone direct me to threads that have discussed  the effects of "Ash Die Back" on  burning quality of "Ash Die Back" effect wood if any ? Many Thanks

What is there to discuss ? its Ash, its dead, and it tends to be quite dry, or is there some thing technical about it ??? Dead dry Ash just burn it,,,

• Like 2

It doesn't burn the same IMO. The logs I have burnt have tended to just sit smouldering and not really doing anything and then they catch and burn quite quickly with little heat. I wouldn't have wanted to have bought a lot of die back ash in and I can see a lot of moany customers on the horizon for suppliers. I think if the trees are felled very early when they first show signs then it seems like normal.

• Like 1

I suppose the dry weight or density is key?

I would use Birch as an example, after the fungus or moulds "eat" the sugary/cellulose goodness out of it, it is much lighter and has less firing value.

So does ADB affect the ash wood the same?

I figure it must to some effect, else why does the timber become so brittle, when Ash was the go-to timber for  tool shafts, when fresh-felled and seasoned.

So there must be a difference.

Calories are Energy after all.

Cheers

mth

• Like 3

Wood database shows ash has  properties approaching hickory compared to many other woods

Elastic Modulus probably what makes it good for tool handles.

Please can someone direct me to threads that have discussed  the effects of "Ash Die Back" on  burning quality of "Ash Die Back" effect wood if any ? Many Thanks
It's like any decay, the lighter and less dense it makes the wood the less energy it gives out when burnt. The vast majority if caught early enough still burns absolutely fine as long as it's dry.

Essentially as others have said its purely down to how badly effected by ADB the tree is. We're felling lots of Ash with it and the extent to which each tree is infected is massively different. They've pretty much all shown signs of it but some it's just the tips going brittle and the main stem shows no signs, but others where it's badly infected are like balsa wood in the centre.

Customers do nothing but whinge all the time so what's new there? [emoji2369]
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Most the ash coming out is just starting to die. I can only see it burning worse if it's been dead standing for a while and even then I've burnt both and noticed no practical difference.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your replies , I only asked as a general question.  Come what may , I am sure that most Ash firewood / logs  are now going to be from Ash suffering from  ADB ,  so  how ever it burns that's what customers are going to be receiving / burning .

9 hours ago, SbTVF said:

It's like any decay, the lighter and less dense it makes the wood the less energy it gives out when burnt. The vast majority if caught early enough still burns absolutely fine as long as it's dry.

Essentially as others have said its purely down to how badly effected by ADB the tree is. We're felling lots of Ash with it and the extent to which each tree is infected is massively different. They've pretty much all shown signs of it but some it's just the tips going brittle and the main stem shows no signs, but others where it's badly infected are like balsa wood in the centre.
Customers do nothing but whinge all the time so what's new there? emoji2369.png

How right you are in what you  say in you're last sentence.👍

• Like 1